Sensible Topic Guardian Article: How growing a beard made me 'a terrorist'

I remember a similar thing happening to me years ago, when I shaved my head and wore Doc Martins people used to think I was a Skinhead !
Only joking, honest !
I didn't wear DMs I wore ToeTectors !
Only joking, honest !
I didn't shave my head !
Now I am telling the truth !

Is this "wave of attacks on Muslims and mosques wholly related to feelings after Lee Rigby's murder ? The Muslum faith encompasses many races and nationality, but most white British associate "Muslum" with the Asian community, I doubt if many white British could differenciate between India and Pakistani people or any other Nationality from that continent, never mind the religion of the person.
It must also be remembered that there has been a high media coverage of several cases of "Asian" grooming gangs who have operated in several parts of England, the back lash occurring could also be associated with this.
Now I am not condoning these attacks in any shape or form but I am trying to point out that it is not just a back lash fueled by the murder of Lee Rigby and these reports should not be used to sully his name.

The first part reinforces the general media perception.

The rest explains why this may be inaccurate, but you have to read all the article for the reasoning.

A quick scan leaves you with the wrong impression, which it was supposedly trying to avoid.

If you already agree with the first part, you'll probably skip the rest. You'll only read it all, if you're already suspicious of the first part.

So, the majority will stop reading when their previous opinion is reached. Journalism at it's best !

Is this "wave of attacks on Muslims and mosques wholly related to feelings after Lee Rigby's murder ? The Muslum faith encompasses many races and nationality, but most white British associate "Muslum" with the Asian community, I doubt if many white British could differenciate between India and Pakistani people or any other Nationality from that continent, never mind the religion of the person.
It must also be remembered that there has been a high media coverage of several cases of "Asian" grooming gangs who have operated in several parts of England, the back lash occurring could also be associated with this.
Now I am not condoning these attacks in any shape or form but I am trying to point out that it is not just a back lash fueled by the murder of Lee Rigby and these reports should not be used to sully his name.

An interesting projection, based on emerging data from the 2011 census.

Britain's Islamic Future :: Gatestone Institute

The author may have bias, but afaik the data is accurate, and the conclusion appears reasonable. Strangely, no general media attention here.

Back