getting rid of vm tv, advice needed

Manse

Inactive User
Reaction score
Thinking about getting rid of the 4 boxes and just going freeview but need some advice about how easy is it to set up something like sickbeard etc to download the shows we'd be missing.
Just got off the phone to vm and basically they offered me 60mb BB (im already on it) and unlimited phone with 1000mins mobile calls for £32 or 120mb for £42 paying £90 now but with call its well over £100.
Ideally would like to set up my downloads to go straight onto my nas drive which everybody in the house uses but has only a torrent client built in not nzb.
We lost all Tv & BB for 6days because of the snow getting into a box and no one missed the tv just got asked when internet would be back up every 5 minutes lol.

so is it that easy to set up running and not having to search for shows then finding out its been removed before i get chance to grab it.

Thinking about getting rid of the 4 boxes and just going freeview but need some advice about how easy is it to set up something like sickbeard etc to download the shows we'd be missing.
Just got off the phone to vm and basically they offered me 60mb BB (im already on it) and unlimited phone with 1000mins mobile calls for £32 or 120mb for £42 paying £90 now but with call its well over £100.
Ideally would like to set up my downloads to go straight onto my nas drive which everybody in the house uses but has only a torrent client built in not nzb.
We lost all Tv & BB for 6days because of the snow getting into a box and no one missed the tv just got asked when internet would be back up every 5 minutes lol.

so is it that easy to set up running and not having to search for shows then finding out its been removed before i get chance to grab it.

If you are going to stay with VM for broadband then you have access to their usenet server for free which has 30 days retention (i.e. anything posted in the last 30 days). Plus I'll give you access to my indexing server which will let sickbeard know the post details of the shows you have queued up. You can also use couchpotato for grabbing movies and headphones for grabbing music.

So now you only need a PC, laptop, smart NAS or something like that which really needs to be left on 24x7 or at least overnight (that is when most of the US shows are posted) so it can grab the posts within a few hours of being posted else some of them get DMCA'ed and removed.

I have a guide for setting up sabnzbd + sickbeard on a window PC.

Last edited:
cheers oneman,
I'm with newsleecher but have been grabbing all my files via matrix , Rus etc manually when i want them but stuff like Arrow get removed very quickly.
Thinking about leaving my old laptop to run SB/couch because the main pc is a gaming rig and a power hungry thing, might look at a raspberry pi soon instead.
Just want to download stuff, unrar it and have it save on the nas drive (buffalo link staion 2tb but only has torrent on it).
i use altbinz at mo because i get full wack on my speeds, have got sabnzb installed but it ran at half my speed no matter how many connections but not fussed about that if its running at night on its own

I purchased a Pi just over a month back and very happy with it. I live running sickbeard+Sabnzbd. Most of the time it works fine but does occasionally not unrar the files and have to do it manually. On the whole, its a nice small machine and plays all the media so far.

Try this, its not the fastest service out there but its free,

Newsgroup settings
•News (NNTP) Server - news.virginmedia.com
•News server: port number - 119

Back