Freeview 'shifting 100,000 boxes a week'

Zooropa

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Around 100,000 DTT boxes are being sold each week in the run-up to Christmas, according to figures released today.

The announcement means that the number of UK homes with digital TV is likely to top 50% by the New Year. Around 7 million have Sky, whilst 2.5 million will be tuning in via Freeview.

The BBC predicts that the success of Freeview means that it will top 3 million homes early next year and 4 million shortly after that.

Andy Duncan, the BBC's director of marketing, said: "We're exceptionally pleased with the news that the digital television market as a whole is growing steadily and that now half the population are set to have the full line-up of BBC channels.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Andy Duncan, the BBC's director of marketing, said: "We're exceptionally pleased with the news that the digital television market as a whole is growing steadily and that now half the population are set to have the full line-up of BBC channels."

I've got two bones to pick with the BBC . . .

1. These BBC digital channels are not "new" - rather old in fact.

2. Cbeebies and CBBC use the same channel space as BBC3 and BBC4, so I really don't think that there are 4 channels there, which is of course what the BBC claim - more cheap marketing. Rather 2 channels. I mean, if they did that with BBC1, they'd end up with a childrens channel, a current affairs channel, soap channel, documentary channel, god channel, all split up during the day - and end up with 4 more channels. If you see what I mean. Which you probably don't.

Back