Freeview customers set to lose channels too

It seems sky have decided against this plan now.
News here- http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=115946

They will likely leave these channels on freeview for now and not invest in a terrestrial pay-tv system. The big loss of custom from virgin, the pressure from Sky News employees, the public annoyance of plans to destroy freeview are all to blame. Maybe ofcom had a private word before official licence applications and said- "you got no chance" lol.

Oh well. I wouldn't have missed Sky dropping off my freeview box anyway since I cannot receive the mux from where I live. Can't miss what I don't get. Not that I watch Sky 3 or Sky News on my freesat box anyway either.

??

CHECK OUT SKY.COM
sky are adding sky movies, sports and a number of other channels as a monthly fee on top up tv.

It seems sky have decided against this plan now.
News here- http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=115946

They will likely leave these channels on freeview for now and not invest in a terrestrial pay-tv system. The big loss of custom from virgin, the pressure from Sky News employees, the public annoyance of plans to destroy freeview are all to blame. Maybe ofcom had a private word before official licence applications and said- "you got no chance" lol.

Whereabouts is the info on sky.com? This thread refers to the freeview channels that they wanted to remove & replace, which they will no longer be doing. I'll take a look at what you have seen if you point out where it is on the site m8.

The only good thing that would have come out of it would be free footy when $ky "accidentally" let slip the SECA encryption used for TUTV/Setanta :Ha:

Sky sat doesn't have talkback, save if you've it connected upto a telephone line, and there is no reason why they couldn't do the same for any DTT.

I just read:

It was announced on 8 February 2007 that Sky intended to withdraw Sky Three, Sky News and Sky Sports News from the platform in the summer of 2007. However, on 2007-03-05, it emerged that Sky had "shelved" plans to withdraw its channels from Freeview according to Media Week[8].

Sky executives have discussed various strategies with major media buying agencies, including leaving Sky Three, Sky News and Sky Sports News on Freeview in favour of launching a pay TV service on digital terrestrial. Estimates of the potential cost to Sky in terms of lost ad revenue for having its channels withdrawn from Virgin's cable TV service range from £30m to £50m for 2007.

Last edited:
Back