Freesat box

wiz569

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys I'm posting this for glic83 as he is having isp problems and cannot get on at the minute,
I can relay any answers or suggestions to him through other means if necessary :)

Hi m8,
I need to pick up a freesat pvr for my parents in laws could you check with the lads or if you know yourself what is the best offical freesat hd pvr within reason budget wise,

they want to be able to record in advance pause tv, need epg etc hence an offical freesat box, now they dont have an internet connect so an box that has extra features via internet is not needed,

so to sum up offical freesat pvr but dont need the extra features that can be gotton from the internet what recommendation ? im trying to keep the cost down within reason, any help would be great

do they have a dish up already ? so just need a box or the complete set up

Ok 1st off cheers to Wiz for posting on my behalf, they are moving away from pay tv so are getting a saorview box (irish freeview) and a freesat box, they want all the perks of their currently set up minus the bills, most of the freesat boxes are a tad expensive the lastest from humax would cost around 350 euro, last years model would be ideal if it could be gotton new, the dont have internet so all these lovely additional features on the latest freesat boxes are pointless as they are in Ireland so somestuff would be geo blocked anyway and they cant avail of it cos they have no internet. Just trying to get them a solid reliable box without breaking the bank

again a combi box would be lovely except its only now and next on the sat epg m8 hence the problem and why they will need 2 boxes

Back to the Foxsat then LOL, they are the one of the best without a doubt and buying direct from humax still get the same warranty with the grade A products good choice

yeah at that price it seems better value over the latest model for what they will be using it for, so is that a good price for it then?

Hi Glic 83
I'm from Wicklow and would be interested to know how you get/got on setting up the outlaws, I'm in a similar boat at the moment, my daughters new man wants to get hooked up, I have a Technomate 6900 super connected to the internet and don't have a problem myself but the rest of the family seem to think it's major grief compared to sly, just wondering what your feedback is
Regards
D

well the aerial side of things is sorted for saorview, the tv is mpeg 4 so they get epg and the saorview channels but its not mheg 5 so no teletext which they are fine with.
The freesat side of things is a disaster if you havent seen my other thread already, the box is fooked and i didnt even get to set it up yet as it doesnt turn on so cant comment on that side of things yet.

Hi Glic 83
I'm from Wicklow and would be interested to know how you get/got on setting up the outlaws, I'm in a similar boat at the moment, my daughters new man wants to get hooked up, I have a Technomate 6900 super connected to the internet and don't have a problem myself but the rest of the family seem to think it's major grief compared to sly, just wondering what your feedback is
Regards
D

Hi m8, can finally report back , had a dead on arrival box 1st time round with humax so the replacement was set up today.
Pic quality is lovely , very straight forward to set up and very easy to use.
The way the in-laws are set up at the min is saorview via the tv itself and then a humax dvr for freesat, slight pain having to change between the 2 and the fact they cant record the saorview channels but they are happy with the set up as most stuff that would be on rte and tv3 is on bbc and itv so they are very happy overall and can use the set up no problem they are cancelling their UPC on Monday morning.any other questions just ask

I know its a bit late but an Amiko Alien 2/Golden Media Triplex would have been another good option.
Twin satellite tuner and terrestrial tuner for Saorview.
It runs Enigma 2 so has a 7 day epg on sat and nice gui .You would need an external USB hard drive with it to record .
Available for ~165 euro .

Back