Ford mondeo mk3 knocking/creeking noise

swainy

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi guys got a ford mondeo mk3 51 plate it has a horrible creek/nock when turning the wheel left/right its quite embarassing when trying to park the car, does anyone know what could be the problem.??.

I had it check last month for the m.o.t and the had said it was a insercure steering rack had it tightend although the noise didnt go..

So today i have had a second opinion and been told its the front drop links steering rack is fine he said also a engine mount gone any one know if it actually could be the drop links or not??

check the front subframe bushes and check trackrod ends for play

i agree with drop-link. disconect one end from roll bar or strut and see if it stops. simples

front track rod ends have been changed will be gettin the new drop links tomorrow will let you no if it is them that are the problem if not then ill check subframe bushes thanks for the replys...if anyone else has any more info could they let me no...thanks

i agree with drop-link. disconect one end from roll bar or strut and see if it stops. simples

also do i have to disconect one end off both drop links as they are both gone

Well can you not narrow it down a little to what side it is by getting someone else to turn the wheel and you listen?? If a drop link gone driving over pot holes drains etc you could hear a noise.

You could try one first and if the same try both,

I would also check bottom ball joints too, see if the rubber boots are split.

Has the car had any work done ie clutch in last few months ??

Well can you not narrow it down a little to what side it is by getting someone else to turn the wheel and you listen?? If a drop link gone driving over pot holes drains etc you could hear a noise.

You could try one first and if the same try both,

I would also check bottom ball joints too, see if the rubber boots are split.

Has the car had any work done ie clutch in last few months ??

hi mate at it says in the first post i had a second opinion i know both drop links have gone.

yes its had a new dual mass flywheel slave cilinder

so the subframe has been off

the bolt that goes in the body near passenger / driver footwell

some times the weld is rusted up and it breaks causing the bolt to spin = cant tighten it up fully

only way to fix that problem is to pull carpet back estimate were it is cut floor pan and weld bolt back up

hi mate at it says in the first post i had a second opinion i know both drop links have gone.

yes its had a new dual mass flywheel slave cilinder

Yes i know but then why are you have you not changed them and then see if its sorts the problem out ??

As i said i would also look at ball joints and see if boots are split. Iv never seens a bolt spin so cant comment on that but would also get things rechecked

Good luck

just a update i have changed both drop links today the creek is still there...After haveing another look over it myself i may have came acrross the problem where the rack arms are there is a rubber gater when i have my hand on there and someone moves the wheel it fells like theres a ball joint gone in there or it just needs re-greasing any ideas what i can do?

other than this i may have to buy a new rack but i really dont want to buy one if its not that

Well im not surpirsed it aint the drop links lol Ok so least you know that now :)

Right your feeling the problem so thats good and maybe easy to find. Best to drop the track rod from the hub and retry and if the problem is still there then try the other side.

If it does go then try moving each hub to see what side it is, a matter of elimination really. But im still going for bottom ball joint :p

Well im not surpirsed it aint the drop links lol Ok so least you know that now :)

Right your feeling the problem so thats good and maybe easy to find. Best to drop the track rod from the hub and retry and if the problem is still there then try the other side.

If it does go then try moving each hub to see what side it is, a matter of elimination really. But im still going for bottom ball joint :p

Took ur advice my gf bro works in a garage i have just took the car down there and put it up on the ramp have now checked bottom ball joints and they are perfect no play or movement,have also checked both struts the car dosent seem to make the noise when up in the air so it has to be somethin but what i dont know have even checked the bolts fez mentions and not them either they are fine, any other suggestions???

Also if it was the steering rack am i right in thinkin it would make the noise if it was on or off the floor

It sounds like he put it on a 2 poster ramp and thats why there is no noise, no load on anything so no noise. It would be best on a 4 poster ramp and then check while up in the air and someone in the car! or maybe they have shacker plates on the 4 poster ramp too.

You really need to try and narrow it down to what side it is or maybe if it turng the sterring wheel or you can get the noise by bouncing it up and down.

There doesnt have to be play or movement either, could be a dry joint or worn top bearing, even worn anitroll bar rubbers

It sounds like he put it on a 2 poster ramp and thats why there is no noise, no load on anything so no noise. It would be best on a 4 poster ramp and then check while up in the air and someone in the car! or maybe they have shacker plates on the 4 poster ramp too.

You really need to try and narrow it down to what side it is or maybe if it turng the sterring wheel or you can get the noise by bouncing it up and down.

There doesnt have to be play or movement either, could be a dry joint or worn top bearing, even worn anitroll bar rubbers

dunno what type of ram it was its got 4 arms on it he had this thing(dunno what it was called lol) which he pumped up which pushed up the front wheels one side at a time no knocking was heard i was under the car with him while he was doin it all...

we have wd40 most visible joint/rubbers regresed the steering rack gaters

Hi! I know it could be a bit (too) late, but i thought that, maybe you didn't find the problem yet, so here is my closest guess: If it sounds like this mk3 mondeo creaky steering - YouTube, than it's probably caused by faulty steering pump (hope this helps, at least to diagnose the source).

Back