Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

First national blood week

MOAMB

Premium Member
Premium Member
Ok i posted this when i was a newbie but as its the FIRST NATIONAL BLOOD WEEK i thought i would re-post it with the hope of it making you think about giving blood.

I gave blood yesterday (done over 50 donations now and give platlets every month) and the local news people where there so i ended up on the local news too. God the camera puts 100lbs on ya (well I'm just fat but will use it as an excuse :lol:)

Here is the link Fat block on local news and I'm the one using me Iphone and just so you know THEY told us to use them :).

Must say tho the presenter was very fit and had a FANTASTIC body.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey people.

Just wanted to give you all some facts on giving blood or a component of your blood (platelets) and if i can get just one more person to give blood id be very happy.

96% of us rely on the other 4% to give blood. Please don’t leave it to someone else.

Main site, just put your postcode in and find some where you can donate today.
The National Blood Service - do something amazing give Blood

Who Can Give Blood?

Most people can give blood. If you are generally in good heath, age 17 to 65 (if it's your first time) and weigh at least 7st 12Ib you can donate. You can give blood every 16 weeks, that's approximately every four months.

Donor Health check

The National Blood Service - Can I Give Blood

Whole blood

This is rarely used these days, only really in instances of severe blood loss. It's usually separated into its individual components.

Red cells

The main function of red blood cells is to distribute oxygen to body tissues and to carry waste carbon dioxide back to the lungs.
These are used in the treatment of all kinds of anaemia which can't be medically corrected, such as when rheumatoid arthritis or cancer is involved, when red cells break down in the newborn and for sickle cell disease.

They're also essential to replace lost red cells due to blood loss in accidents, surgery and after childbirth.

Platelets

This blood vessel has been cut open to reveal its inside wall (lower left).
Platelets can be used in bone marrow failure, post transplant and chemotherapy treatments, and leukaemia. Platelets can be of huge benefit to the recipient

Bone Marrow

If you are a regular blood donor please read the following as it gives you some information about donating bone marrow. All you do is give them an extra sample of blood when donating and you go on to the register.

Bone Marrow Information

Organ Donation

Please also consider registering on the organ donation web site.

Organ Donation Information

Thanks for looking and do something amazing to day and give blood.

Back