Firewall Appliance

traga

Inactive User
Reaction score
Does anyone use a firewall appliance / firewall hardware box that sits between your internet connection and computer(s)?

I've been having a look and two brands seem to be quite popular, the Sonicwall and Watchguard. Does anyone have any experience of these and any advice on models?

i have heard of sonicwall some of our customers use this box, must be easy to setup cos our tech support went to site and installed lol, no seriously they were installed 18 months ago and we have had no problems with them.

I use p2 266mhz pc with 96m mem with 2 network cards and smoothwall 2.0 linux software, much cheaper than buying hardware solution and easy to install no linux experiance needed.

h**p://www.smoothwall.org/ have a look here, there is an explanation why using a pc/linux solution is better than dedicated firewall/router on the web site.

some of the endorsments

Our DSL line went down recently due to the attack on NYC. I needed to quickly set up a shared dialup and didn't want to mess with our current firewall. Smoothwall installed in minutes and my users were able to check their e-mail within half an hour. „

“ The cost of a Cisco router was seriously prohibitive for my company, but thanks to Smoothwall I have all the functionality at an unbeatable price. „

“ I use my smoothwall in a local high school where I am network administrator. It is a small private school with very little extra money in the budget for technology items. Your smoothwall is a perfect solution for us and has operated to perfection thus far. „

“ Beautiful interface, and GREAT install! I just installed Smoothwall on a HP Pavilion 6530, with 3 Netgear NICs. I am currently using a Watchguard Firebox, and am more impressed with your product than theirs!! „

“ I was in the process of ordering a PIX firewall when I came across smoothie. I waited two days for 0.9.9 beta to be released. Downloaded, installed it and put into use today for a daily newspaper in Ohio, US

Back