Fibercoax - to hackware

srooth

Inactive User
Reaction score
can you roll back Fibercoax to hackware. if so how??

hi mate
wat modem
but u can probably do it the same way it was put on it in the first place
regards

There has been some talk that to change from Fibreware V9F4 you need a serial cable - otherwise use netboot but change port to 225

Bullsh*t spreads so well that it makes people wonder.

All this rumor started on mo****ck some time ago when one person said they couldn't netboot/etherboot sb4200 with fiberware vf94 no matter what. Thread was full of crap, some people blamed that person for bullshitting, other stated sometimes that happens etc.

The biggest wrong point was whole thing about firberware-vf94 which is in no way special regarding netbooting.

If sb4100/4200 modem's ever had "locked" docsis 1.1 firmware loaded onto it(not necessarily flashed, ether/netboot will also do the same) - it modifies/destroys the bootline(i'm not sure all docsis 1.1 firmwares do this, 1.4.9.x do for sure, while 1.4.8.14 is netbootable itself in fact and doesn't destroy bootline) and you can only downgrade using rs232 and also have to provide full bootline when you choose option to boot over net...

Well, everyone knows this. But not everyone knows that after downgrading and flashing previous firmware version you still _can't_ netboot it using netboot/sbrider app or fiberware 05- switch or shell command resetAndLoadFromNet or whatever unless you restore bootline back to normal using specific shell command.

So that modems although they have earlier netbootable firmware versions or even hacked firmware version on them currently with specific netboot button/switch really can't be netbooted right away...

Thus it doesn't have anything to do with fiberware-vf94 being not netbootable or anything like that and this is the explanation why

few modems that just don't play the game

although they seemingly have firmware versions which should be netbootable.

And that specific shell command is

bootChange

you need to edit back default parameters this way:

boot device : enetBcm
processor number : 0
host name : admin
file name : /opt/vwMIPS_1_0_1_fcs/target/config/sb4200/vxWorks.st
inet on ethernet (e) : 192.168.100.1
inet on backplane (b):
host inet (h) : 192.168.100.10
gateway inet (g) : 192.168.100.1
user (u) : jmcqueen
ftp password (pw) (blank = use rsh): rickey7
flags (f) : 0x8
target name (tn) : SB4200
startup script (s) :
other (o) : bs1

Ofcourse much of this is irrelevant and you can set your own ftp login/pass, directory structure where .st file is located etc.

I think sigma has web interface thing where you can just copy&paste default bootline

enetBcm(0,0)admin:/opt/vwMIPS_1_0_1_fcs/target/config/sb4200/vxWorks.st
h=192.168.100.10 e=192.168.100.1 u=jmcqueen pw=rickey7 f=0x8 tn=SB4200 o=bs1

in case evil docsis 1.1 firmware erased it, not really sure if sigma lite has this feature though so just use shell-enabled firmware and bootchange cmd.

So don't be surprised when modem with firmware which is supposed to be netbootable doesn't netboot. Since someone downgraded it it's probably hacked one anyway and though you can't netboot right away you can probably either fix it with shell or use flashing functions directly, e.g. initiate upgrade through snmp, use web-based firmware changer etc depending on firmware version.

Although i believe there're some unfortunate samples of hacked firmwares which have bridging specifically disabled during firmware updates(0.4.4.5 on which many hacked firmwares are based for example, this was done by motorolla and not firmware modders, latter just didn't take time to kill this nasty stuff) so they can't really be flashed so easily as they won't take anything from ethernet side during update, you'll need someone outside serving firmware upgrade file on their tftp. Or a second modem... And full snmp access. Or rs232.

And yes, fiberware vf-93, fiberware vf-94 are among that bad examples as far as i remember.

But who'd bother for those who downgrade from docsis 1.1 firmware using rs232 to one of those bad examples and forgets to restore bootline before selling it/giving it away.

Then yes, eventual owner won't be able to netboot it without rs232 it and will have troubles described above flashing it to different firmware.

On other hand, someone running said versions of fiberware may by accident or lack of knowledge, testing or out of curiosity netboot/etherboot docsis 1.1 firmware and get pretty much stuck with fiberware after power-cycling.

Nice explanation mate.

But can u clear one point for me.

I have a SB4100i that doesn't respond to properlly to Netboot once Fiberware is flashed onto it, the only way for me to remove Fiberware is via serial cable.

Now, when I use the serial cable and send this command ..

2 enetBcm(0,0)admin:/opt/vwMIPS_1_0_1_fcs/target/config/sb4100/vxWorks.st h=192.168.100.10 e=192.168.100.1 u=jmcqueen pw=rickey7 f=0x8 tn=SB4100 o=bs1

Does this reset the modified bootline that stops netboot from working correctly?

Reason I ask is that after I have reflashed the modem with Hackware I am free to reflash the modem with Netboot no problem as many times as I like, yet as soon as I reflash it with Fiberware the only option to remove it is with the serial cable, if the boot proccess is corrupt as the modem had locked firmware on it then how come Hackware doesn't seem to bother about this corruption and lets me netboot without any trouble?

If the 2 enetBcm(0,0)admin:/opt/vwMIPS_1_0_1_fcs/target/config/sb4100/vxWorks.st h=192.168.100.10 e=192.168.100.1 u=jmcqueen pw=rickey7 f=0x8 tn=SB4100 o=bs1 line does indeed repauir the corrupt boot process then why does installing Fiberware cause the modem to nno longer boot from Netboot?

Last edited:
2 enetBcm(0,0)admin:/opt/vwMIPS_1_0_1_fcs/target/config/sb4100/vxWorks.st h=192.168.100.10 e=192.168.100.1 u=jmcqueen pw=rickey7 f=0x8 tn=SB4100 o=bs1

No, this does not repair bootline. This only allows to etherboot once to other firmware. I already described above how to restore bootline...

About fiberware, aren't you forgetting it has default snmp port set to 225 instead of 169 and you must account for that either by changing snmp port in netboot app or by using reset snmp port to default switch? Also remember to make sure you either have full snmp access by default or tick checkbox to reboot modem before netbooting in netboot app.

Myself i generally preferred built-in 05- netboot switch with fiberware and have netboot app just act as simple ftp server.

reflash the modem with Netboot

You don't "reflash" modem with netboot.

You temporarily boot another kernel image by loading it into dram and executing from there. It doesn't get saved to flash and thus after power-cycling firmware stored in flash is executed again instead of one that was netbooted(contents of dram is obviously lost when power is removed).

Storing firmware to flash/non-volatile power independent memory is whole different story.

One more damned thing people should finally learn to see difference with, "etherboot/netboot" and "flash".

As far as i understand function "resetAndLoadFromNet" what it basically does is reboot modem in such way that it automatically thinks you've pressed "2" at that menu you get with rs232 connected. Current firmware is no longer in control and further stuff that happens is handled by bootloader. If pressing 2 is not sufficient for that modem and it requires you to type 2+whole bootline it obviously won't get anywhere since it doesn't matter how you pass that boot choice to bootloader, by connecting rs232 or through special function in firmware itself.

So most likely with fiberware you just forgot about that snmp port difference.
Btw, in your case since you can netboot with hackware i guess your bootline is set properly. Try just pressing 2 in that boot menu with rs232 connected, if it netboots fine with that - that's the case.

Unkind said:
No, this does not repair bootline. This only allows to etherboot once to other firmware. I already described above how to restore bootline...

About fiberware, aren't you forgetting it has default snmp port set to 225 instead of 169 and you must account for that either by changing snmp port in netboot app or by using reset snmp port to default switch? Also remember to make sure you either have full snmp access by default or tick checkbox to reboot modem before netbooting in netboot app.

Myself i generally preferred built-in 05- netboot switch with fiberware and have netboot app just act as simple ftp server.

I've done all this mate, I've been experimenting on this particular modem for about 3 months, I've tried every possible combination of flags and followed direct idiot proof instructions on how to remove Fiberware using Netboot only, it simply does not work on this modem.

You don't "reflash" modem with netboot.

Very true, my terminology was wrong.

Last edited:
Uhm, and when you install hackware instead of fiberware it all of sudden starts working perfectly? And when you reinstall fiberware back again instead of hackware it no longer netboots?

Unkind said:
Uhm, and when you install hackware instead of fiberware it all of sudden starts working perfectly? And when you reinstall fiberware back again instead of hackware it no longer netboots?

That is exactly what happens, strange one.

hi guys, im a bit stomped on v9f4 too.

my level of expertise is far lower than yours though.

how do i use these shell commands please?

my problem is max233 doesnt seem to work and neither does blackcat!

whatever i do i remain stuck on this firmware!

any help greatfully received.

Last edited:
result guys!!!!
max233 & blackcat did not work!

way i managed to do it is as follows:-

i ran boot.exe with all software in boot.exe dir
i entered the 05- fibrecoax switch and as soon as i did this it then took!
i have now new firmware!
hope this helps others out!

Back