Faulty PS4 - worth it?

Purity

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been offered a faulty PS4 with a broken bluray drive.

Apparently the previous owner forced a bluray in the drive and a bit snapped off inside. Not the bluray but a piece of plastic somewhere in the drive

Now is it worth buying? I am worried as the bluray is married to the console, but the bluray pcb might probably be ok, but the laser might be damaged I guess, and obviously the plastic bit whatever is broken off. Can you get replacement drives and refit the pcb to it?

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
wouldnt need it if games bought of psn but the consoles are only 2 months old so warrenty should cover, yes miss-use would invaildate it but is it miss-use or poor design
maybe worth a bash if price is right

wouldnt need it if games bought of psn but the consoles are only 2 months old so warrenty should cover, yes miss-use would invaildate it but is it miss-use or poor design
maybe worth a bash if price is right

I think I might buy it. Online content would still be ok, even if I cannot fix the bluray drive

It's not covered by warranty. They wanted £175 repair costs according to the owner

how much have you been offered it for?

Maybe worth buying and have a look at the blu-ray drive innards as the ps3`s might fit it , i have just fixed a ps3 drive with a broken plastic bit that had snapped off with someone trying to push a disc in.

I'm going to go for it. It's worth the risk and still useable if I can't get the bluray working.

Looking at some images of the internals of the drive, I suspect that one of the white plastic bits have broken inside, but without taking it apart I will not know

I think the PS3 bluray drive plastic is different.

Heck it may not even be broken. It may just be loose

PS4=

01-nsbMTDI.jpg

PS3 =

PS3_Blu-ray_Drive.jpg

Attachments

• original.jpg
    original.jpg
    644.4 KB · Views: 23
On the second picture , left one , thats where the plastic had broken off (arrowed)

PS3_Blu-ray_Drive.jpg

It will still run games from psn so if you have decent internet then you have that option. After a while I'm sure you will find spare parts for sale and you can replace the faulty parts.

Last edited:
Care to share what was needed.

Of course. If you look at this thread here it explains what I found loose inside the drive:

http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/ps4-forums-552/391508-ps4-bluray-help-where.html

The background to this is the previous owners young daughter forced a Bluray into the drive upside down, and a piece became loose and the drive was jammed with the disk. The disk eventually came out but then it was impossible to put another disk is as the loose part was in the way.

I found someone on YouTube with the same issue. They clearly didn't know where it fitted either :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I posted a comment and got the response "It seems like you have to remove the white screw from your console. Manufacturing issue I guess"

Anyway I took the PS4 apart and the bluray drive, and then it took a while to figure out where the part goes.

The is the picture of the drive in bits. The white plastic bit circled became dislodged from between the two rollers. This became loose in the drive and stopped disks from being inserted:

PS4Fixed.jpg

The loose part is a pretty bad design in my opinion. I don't think it would take much to dislodge it.

I suspect more people will have this problem in future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you and well done for getting it sorted , pleased for you.
Of course. If you look at this thread here it explains what I found loose inside the drive:

http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/ps4-forums-552/391508-ps4-bluray-help-where.html

The background to this is the previous owners young daughter forced a Bluray into the drive upside down, and a piece became loose and the drive was jammed with the disk. The disk eventually came out but then it was impossible to put another disk is as the loose part was in the way.

I found someone on YouTube with the same issue. They clearly didn't know where it fitted either :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I posted a comment and got the response "It seems like you have to remove the white screw from your console. Manufacturing issue I guess"

Anyway I took the PS4 apart and the bluray drive, and then it took a while to figure out where the part goes.

The is the picture of the drive in bits. The white plastic bit circled became dislodged from between the two rollers. This became loose in the drive and stopped disks from being inserted:

View attachment 80036

The loose part is a pretty bad design in my opinion. I don't think it would take much to dislodge it.

I suspect more people will have this problem in future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some money for you to be made there then mate when the problem re occurs for other people.

Back