Fa Cup

S

scoot

MERSEY MAULING DELIGHTS FRANCIS

Palace: Delighted

RELATED STORIES

- Eagles fly high at Anfield

A delighted Trevor Francis was walking on air after Crystal Palace humbled Anfield in the FA Cup.

Palace shocked Liverpool 2-0 on their own patch on Wednesday - gaining a last-16 home clash with Leeds on Sunday week in the process.

A rampant Liverpool inflicted humiliation on Palace when they beat Steve Coppell's side 9-0 on Merseyside in 1989.

And Francis - who saw Julian Gray's opener and Stephane Henchoz's own goal seal the tie - saw it as a job well done.

He said: "I don't want to use the word revenge, but it is very satisfying to beat a team like Liverpool on their own ground.

"I'm not sure at times how we did it. They couldn't have thrown much more at us than they did, it was the charge of the Light Brigade.

"Many people felt we had lost our opportunity when we only drew the first game at Selhurst Park, and it should have been that way after the first half here.

"They could have had six in that period, the game was dominated by them. I don't know how it was still 0-0 at half-time.
"But when they keep on missing chances, you think it might be your night, and that's what happened."

And Francis had seen his substitute striker Dougie Freedman sent off in the second half with Palace 1-0 up and desperate to have as many bodies defending as possible.

But they stunned the Kop by breaking away and seeing an own goal settle things for them.

Afterwards Francis said: "I've won here twice as a player for Birmingham and Manchester City, but never as a manager.

"I've had three goes now as a manager and finally made it. When I was manager at Birmingham, we ran them close in the Worthington Cup Final, then 10 days ago we should have beaten them at our place. This time we did it.

"But it certainly seemed unlikely at times. We could barely get into their half but it was Liverpool's inability to finish that allowed us to stay in the match. Sometimes I don't know how we survived.

"In the second half we got better, we pushed forward more and we found the gaps as they attacked."

sCOOT;) :T

Back