Eurosky or Systemsat Direct ?

Blizzard I havent done this with a sly card but you will need to enter the boxkey from your sly card into the spider. Get the serial and then just follow these steps.

Open your computer calculator, (in Windows)

1. Click the view menu,
2, Select Scientific,
3. Decimal should already be selected,
4. Enter your decimal Number
5. then Select Hex

The decimal Number is changed to a Hex number

That is your boxkey.

Thanks :) I am just a bit confused what serial I use. Some people have said it is the one underneath the actual Sly box in printed form. But for the T-Rex I used the one in my Sly box menu on screen. Then there is also a serial number that appears when I click on the N*S word on the Spiderbox menu. I am just a bit confused which one it is that I am meant to use :)

Use the "serial" number in the eng menu as far as I am aware. To find:-

Press the 'Sky' button
Press 'Services' button on the remote
Select the 'Setup' option
Using the remote press '01' and then 'Select'

Use the "serial" number in the eng menu as far as I am aware. To find:-

Press the 'Sky' button
Press 'Services' button on the remote
Select the 'Setup' option
Using the remote press '01' and then 'Select'

Sadly they changed that with the Sly HD firmware last year I think. The only serial number I can see is under settings and then System Details, it is a 10 digit code. Should I ignore the one that appears as soon as I click the N*S button on the Spiderbox ?

Blizzard that is what you use is it not. the 10 digits will change to 8 hex characters - sure if you used a boxkey calculator with the 17 digits it would produce the same end result.

Hopefully someone else can confirm. You wont lose anything the worst that could happen is that your card wont be read if its wrong.

Blizzard that is what you use is it not. the 10 digits will change to 8 hex characters - sure if you used a boxkey calculator with the 17 digits it would produce the same end result.

Hopefully someone else can confirm. You wont lose anything the worst that could happen is that your card wont be read if its wrong.

Thanks. Yes, I think you are right, but for some odd reason the 10 digit serial number creates a 7 hex code and not a 8. I think this is because the "0" figure at the start of the serial number vanishes when I type it in the calculator in Windows so it ends up with 9 digits.

Try using this one

Hex-Dec Converter

Choose dec to hex.

The 7 digts can be prefixed by a 0 and it should work I think. For example A7F823D = 0A 7F 82 3D

YES YES YES, thank you, you and everyone else in this thread is a total star. Putting the "0" in front has worked, I now have Sly Sports HD on my screen when it wouldn't work before, so it must be working with the box key.

Big thanks again everyone. Now expect more questions when I go to sort out the PVR :) Speaking of which, I hear the HDD has to be Fat32, what happens when I record things over 4gb when it comes to editing and archiving them on my PC ?

Many thanks again.

Glad you cracked it mate.

Not sure about the recording - sorry. Hopefully someone can help.

I am really impressed with the Spiderbox, I know I could of probably even got away with the 7000HD for what I need, which would of been even more of a bargain. Thanks to all you guys and this site I got everything sorted in a couple of hours. I now have a HDD setup, recordings, fav channels, etc. I have even also done my first PC edit with the recorded files. It saves them in TRP format which Video Redo can open, so that is cool.

Only drawbacks I have found are a clumsy channel guide and FAT32 format drive rather than NTFS (which might make my 4gb+ recordings hard to edit and archive on my PC). Also no esata, however given the low price of the unit, lack of such a thing is expected. But there are way more positives than negatives. No stuttering yet, no freezing, everything in sync, recordings work fine, really good picture, etc.

Do I need to keep it plugged in to ethernet for just Sly HD viewing ? I am not sharing or anything that I think needs a ethernet connection.

Also, does it record in source quality ? Reason I ask is Media Info says a Sky Sports HD recording was 13.6mbit in video bitrate, sounds quite low for a premium sports channel, I thought they were around 16 to 18mbit ? Or maybe bitrates have lowered on Sky since I was using my T-Rex a year back.

Last edited:
Sorry for more questions guys.

I clicked "reset key data", what does this actually do that could cause problems for me ? Will I need to re-install the latest update again to make sure I still have the most stable cccam setup ? Or was clicking it not as drastic a result as that ?

The reason I clicked it is because I am confused why I can't seem to get my other multiroom sly card to work with premium channels. I did all the box serial number things again but with the other box. So I tried clicking various things to get it to work. It just makes it easier for me if I have my other card in the Spiderbox so I am just trying to get premium channels to work with that one. Odd how it works fine with my other card box key.

Last edited:
the boxkey has to be created from the serial number of the official box that the card youre trying to use is paired with, EVERY card will have a different boxkey as the serial of the receiver its locked to is different

Yep, but I tried the other serial number using the hex code output for box key. I think it will work with a little persistance though, as I had a problem even using my original card again, but after about 10 mins it kicked in again. I will just keep trying.

Any idea about the "key reset" thing ? I presume I shouldn't worry about it ?

Back