Edision OS Mini. Anyone have an opinion on this box.

th0ma5

Inactive User
Reaction score
Could anyone who has any knowledge on the Edision OS Mini comment
regarding good or bad points or give an alternative similar box.

I have had both the Single Satellite and the Combo model and for the money they drop all over the Zgemma's from a rather large height, By this i mean in terms of build quality and support all major teams support the Edision OS mini obviously apart from Blackhole who are VU exclusive.

The DVB-C/T/T2 tuner on the combo model is pretty sensitive as well similar to the TM-Nano-Combo model both of which are panasonic branded.

Basically if it was a toss up between the Zgemma new H series and the Edision i would always pick the Edision. The New Zgemma H models may have an SD card slot but i prefer the advantage of having built in wireless from the Edision which would probably in a lot of cases get used more.

Regards

Thankyou Digi247 for your observations I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.
The reason I posted was because I intend to purchase another OS Mini but did have a problem
with my current one when running auto bouquetmaker with error ' unable to read data' .
This happened several times but only with OS Mini. It never happened with 3 other different boxes which were connected to same cables,obviously at different times.
Pricewise I think they are good value and will probably buy another although I did consider
Zgemma H2S. Once again thanks for your input.

Don't know anything about the edison but I would give a big thumbs up to SAB TITAN (2 variants the micro se and the combi) I have installed 16 of these boxes for people and they are rock solid and excellent picture quality at a reasonable price, NON LINUX tho.

I havent had a play with a Edison yet, they are the same spec as the new Zgemma series H2S etc but the Edisons are more expensive theres 27 pounds difference between a Zgemma H2S and a Edison Mini OS. The difference being the Edison has 2 year warranty vs 1 year on the Zgemma and the Edison has built in WiFi and blutooth.

Depends how you look at it really, wifi/bluetooth you might not need and it's not worth 27 pounds extra on the price when cheap ebay dongles will give you wifi for under £5. the warranty is the only advantage.

Zgemma remote control is apaprently better quality as well from feedback and comparisons i've seen and HDMI cable included in the box. I dont think the Edison comes with a HDMI cable, so add at least a further 1 pound to you budget if your getting a poundland HDMI cable :)

Official ViX image support if you use their image is worth considering on the Edison. Personally I use OpenATV or OpenPli both of which are officially supported on Zgemmas, OpenATV has built in online updates as well. Theres nothing special or that good about vix images anyway.

27 quid price difference will buy you a 32GB Micro SD Card and a years worth of "gift" from various suppliers if your that way inclined.

Two good options in the budget box range. Zgemma have caused a market shakeup releasing boxes at the price that they do. others have been forced to follow suit this is good for the end consumer. If you need WiFi and the extra years warranty is appealing go with the Edison, there is less of a price difference in the single tuner versions.

Last edited:
Probably too late a reply but I have a edision os mini combo and find it great but I don't have any other recent box to compare to. Box came with openpli and I really like this interface for epg and the other channel listing. Messed around a bit with iptv and cccam and all looks good. I like the web interface for managing channels. zapping seems fast to me. And it seems to have lots of other images available apart from openpli. I'd definitely recommend and probably buy the same again for another room. Did look at Zgemma too but read something about images would probably work better on edision,

Don't know anything about the edison but I would give a big thumbs up to SAB TITAN (2 variants the micro se and the combi) I have installed 16 of these boxes for people and they are rock solid and excellent picture quality at a reasonable price, NON LINUX tho.

I had to sort out said box for someone, great box but interface I found to be very poor, but as they say this is probably due to being a Non Linux box.

I had to sort out said box for someone, great box but interface I found to be very poor, but as they say this is probably due to being a Non Linux box.

Which part did you find to be poor?

Which part did you find to be poor?

just the menu layout I found so confusing, took me nearly 1 hour to work out how to add a cline to the box. I prefer Linux based ones due to the way you can ftp and telnet to the box and do everything via command line all be it you do need some Linux experience

just the menu layout I found so confusing, took me nearly 1 hour to work out how to add a cline to the box. I prefer Linux based ones due to the way you can ftp and telnet to the box and do everything via command line all be it you do need some Linux experience

If you enter the ip address of the receiver into web browser you can easily add C lines etc

I also started a thread about another feature of that box where my wholesale supplier has set up a server (not cs) with a FTA channel list on it, basically you can go into menu, system, software update and it points the box directly back to their server and updates the channel list. internet connection required of course, Now wouldn't it be fab if I knew how to set up a server like that and make a full channel list available for anyone that wanted it, i just don't how to make the server.

Back