Edge Card

Alien Heads

Inactive User
Reaction score
Since the R4 stopped being produced last year i've switched to using the Edge card which are cheap & updates are released on a regular basis for it.

Currently $15 (£10) on Dealxtreme DealExtreme: $15.30 Edge DS Card for NDS and NDS Lite (Supports SDHC) i've swapped all 4 of our R4's for Edge cards.

2cr2c15.jpg

Overview : EDGE is a multi functional media adapter for NDS. It accepts MicroSD and MicroSDHC cards. EDGE allows use of Homebrew DS applications, multimedia (via Moonshell) and commercial NDS applications via the SD interface. EDGE is easy to use, just load the EDGE OS (download from support section) onto the MicroSD together with your favourite applications, plug into EDGE then insert the EDGE cartridge into the DS and you're ready to go!

Features:
  • Supports MicroSDHC cards up to 32GB
  • Plays Commercial NDS ROM
  • Plays Homebrew NDS ROMS
  • Touch to execute OS system
  • Works with Moonshell for multimedia playback such as movies and MP3's
  • Frequently updated OS for best compatibility
  • Action Replay compatible cheat system
  • Brighntess adjustment for NDSL
  • In game reset
  • Full download play support
  • Supports slot 2 expansions
  • Multi language user interface
  • Save game saves directly to Micro SD
  • Automatic save game type detection
  • Supports clean ROMs
  • Robust non-spring loaded Micro SD slot
  • Micro SDHC card reader included

Quality/Usability : The first thing you'll notice is the unique design of the packaging of the EDGE Card DS. Its nothing something we usually see with other flash carts. The packaging isnt your usual square or rectangular. Its in the shape of a triangle and held closed with a EDGE elastic band. The packaging itself is made of 4 cardboards pieces glued on top of each other with the cover being a sheet of cardboard held together with a single screw. The back of the packaging gives you instructions on how to setup the EDGE.

As mentioned above, instructions are on the back of the packaging due to the unique design. There is no way to place instruction booklets or even CD with necessary files. However, you can download EDGE OS files from their website. The EDGE contains a MicroSDHC card reader and EDGE Slot-1 Card.

The EDGE card is a 1:1 sized DS Cart. In other words, its exactly the same size as an original DS game. Like most flash carts, the front usually has a slight bump protruding under the sticky which is usually the chip but with the EDGE, its not really noticeable when you look at it. You can feel the chip underneath the sticker but very slightly. The MicroSD card is inserted at the top but is not spring loaded.

Since the EDGE supports SDHC (up to 32GB), Colourful Zone was nice enough to supply us with a Kingston 4GB MicroSDHC card and the EDGE had no problem reading the MicroSD.

Setup is probably as easy as it gets. As mentioned, since EDGE does not come with a CD with software, you will have to download the EDGE OS files from their website. The firmware file consists of a "EDGE.dat" file and a "EDGE" folder. The folder contains a "cheat.dat" that contains cheat codes for DS games. Once EDGE OS is set up, a "config.xml" is generated and this will store all your settings.

Upon boot up, the EDGE bypasses the Nintendo DS menu and brings you to the EDGE GUI. The first thing that I noticed is that it resembles CycloDS Evolution. Like all other flash carts, you are given three menus; Games/Homebrew, Media and Settings/Misc.

What is nice about the EDGE is that it doesnt show all the files on the MicroSD. It only shows .nds files which also sorts them alphabetically. Press the "X" button or tapping the top right corner, you can view three different display modes; View: ROM (title and icon), View: File (title, icon and file size) and View: List (name of file). Pressing the "A" button or tapping the file with your stylus will load the game. Pressing "B" or tapping folder icon at the top will bring you back to the main menu.

Media will load Moonshell and this will allow you to play your media files whether it be music or videos.

In the settings menu, you can enable or disable cheat codes, change brightness setting, language, skins and boot a Slot-2 device (PassMe). The skins option allows you to place skins into the "EDGE/skins" directory on the MicroSDHC and cycle through them whenever you want. It is compatible with CycloDS skins..go figure. To perform a soft reset, you'll have to press A+B+X+Y+L+R.

Both DS games and homebrew all loaded without a problem. EDGE supports auto-DLDI patching for homebrew games. EDGE also uses 512k save for all your DS games. The save files are identical and compatible with some other flash carts. So if you're the type to try different cards, you dont have to worry about losing your game saves or having to start all over.

Conclusion : Overall, the EDGE Card DS SLOT-1 MicroSDHC flew under the radar. The cart, design and name is all new but the GUI looks exactly like a clone of CycloDS Evolution (could it be the same people or just another group copying files?). All games and homebrew loaded fine. With the support for MicroSDHC, this is a card to look at if you're interested in purchasing a flash cart.

It's a great card. Maybe that's why no-one has it in stock. Hopefully it isn't going the same way as the R4DS.

I have used these for a year even though everyone was still recommending the R4, I persoanlly found this the best and great prices too. I agree they are excellent, but it seems for several months now the stocks have disappeared and not been replaced. Its a shame, I hope they become widely available again.

yep I got 3 edge cards for the kids and mrs work great 2 x kids have 4gb and mrs has 8gb

cant fault them.

theres alot of stuff on the net saying these cards are clones of the cyclo cards but there less than half the clcyo's price and do the same thing :)

Back