Ecclestone stands by 'fake rain'

DiamondGeezer

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Formula 1 chief Bernie Ecclestone says there is growing support for using sprinkler systems to wet F1 tracks in order to make races more entertaining.

Despite opposition from drivers such as Red Bull's Mark Webber, Ecclestone said: "There's no reason why sprinklers shouldn't happen.

"There's so much support because wet races are always the best by far."

Ecclestone also suggested McLaren's English duo Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button could "struggle" this season.

McLaren have been off the pace of front-runners Red Bull and Ferrari in practice, with the season-opening Australian Grand Prix set to take place in Melbourne on Sunday.

Ecclestone said: "Lewis and Jenson are going to have a bit of a struggle this year I think, but having said that, Ferrari's Fernando Alonso and any of the other top guys will have a problem.

"It won't be easy, I don't think anyone is going to walk away with it. A lot of these things depend on the car.

"I have no doubt in my mind that both Jenson and Lewis will perform very, very well, if the car is capable of doing that.

"As drivers they are both capable of winning the championship and they have done in the the past."

The Red Bulls of Germany's defending champion Sebastian Vettel and Australian Webber have impressed pre-season and Ecclestone tipped them to be the team to beat once again.

"Looking at it now you would have to say one of the Red Bull guys will be champion or Alonso but as I said, it won't be easy," said Ecclestone.

"You've got three guys there who could maybe do it. You never know about our English drivers but there's a big question mark over them."

Last season was one of the most entertaining in F1 history as it came down to the final race in Abu Dhabi with Vettel, Webber, Alonso and Hamilton still able to win the Drivers' Championship.

That fact has left many wondering why Ecclestone thinks the sport needs any extra spicing up.

Teams have kept their counsel on the idea of wetting tracks but BBC sport understands they are wary.

There are concerns about its artificiality as well as the image it would send out about profligacy and wastefulness, with millions of litres of water potentially being needed.

New engine regulations for 2013 have been framed to reflect the growing concern about sustainability and this idea is completely contrary to that.

But Ecclestone added: "I thought maybe at the beginning it was a little crazy [to suggest the use of sprinkler systems on F1 tracks] but it's surprising how much support that idea is getting now.

"Providing we do it so nobody would know when it was going to happen, like when it rains, I think it would make for a lot of entertainment.

"Whether or not it would make it more exciting, I don't know. Until you have done these things it's impossible to say but I thought last year was a super season."

BBC Sport - F1 - Bernie Ecclestone stands by Formula 1 'fake rain' plans

what next - spike strips? rear mounted heat seeking bazooka?

bah.

The part about rain ect does bring in a bit more spice to the race but then there's also the aspect of the teams predicting it correctly. How are they going to predict sprinklers ?

Back