DVD Recoder fault

stevedw

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Evey time i put a disc in my DVD recorder - Sony RDR-GX210 it ejects it after a couple of seconds. This happens with all discs - recordable and pre-recorded. has anyone else expirenced this problem before? would it be expensive to repair? ive only had it less than 2 years so it would be a shame to bin it.

sounds like a daft answer, but the eject button is not stuck is it?

No im pretty sure it isnt. Ive just put an audio CD in and it played that ok without ejecting it but when i put a DVD in it ejected it. that seems strange.

Sounds like the DVD laser is fecked and when your putting discs in it can't read/see them so is spitting them back out.

If you open the recorder up and find the laser's pot tweaker you could use a ohms meter and small screwdriver to increase the laser strength (By decreasing it's resistance)

If you decide to go ahead with this there's a guide here for doing a gamecube laser, there all pretty much the same ;)

Laser pot tweak

Before that though I would check your warranty as Sony sometimes offer 2-3 years warranty so you may still be covered ;)

:)

Before tweaking the Lazer pots try putting in a dvd cleaning disc in first.

Before tweaking the Lazer pots try putting in a dvd cleaning disc in first.

Very true, I was presuming that would of been the first thing done though ;)

Suppose you never know though, have you tried any cleaners m8?

Very true, I was presuming that would of been the first thing done though ;)

Suppose you never know though, have you tried any cleaners m8?

No i don't have a cleaner. i did think about it but i thought if the recorder is knackered it would be a waste of money buying a cleaner. Unfortunatly on the website it says 'Sony guarantees the product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship at the date of original purchase for a period of ONE YEAR from that date'. I think i'll just get a new one. Can anyone recommend a good one? won't be a Sony this time i think.

stear clear of panasonic - very unreliable (speaking as a dealer with service dept) I would recommend a pioneer dvd recorder - all of them are feature full and reliable.

stear clear of panasonic - very unreliable (speaking as a dealer with service dept) I would recommend a pioneer dvd recorder - all of them are feature full and reliable.

Im surprised at that. ive heard many people say panasonic is a top class brand, is that just their dvd recorders which are unreliable or their tv's also?. I'll checkout pioneer, i heard they cost an arm and leg though.

No i don't have a cleaner. i did think about it but i thought if the recorder is knackered it would be a waste of money buying a cleaner. Unfortunatly on the website it says 'Sony guarantees the product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship at the date of original purchase for a period of ONE YEAR from that date'. I think i'll just get a new one. Can anyone recommend a good one? won't be a Sony this time i think.

A cleaner is a good investment in any case, 9 times out of 10 it will clear Laser reading problems. You can probably pick one up for a couple of quid.

Ive just read this review on Amazon, it seems it certainly is the laser thats gone. I don't think a cleaner will fix it.

I purchased this a Sony DVD Recorder RDRGX-210 in June 2005. In January 2006 a fault occurred i.e. it would not accept disks and ejected them. A new laser was replaced under the warantee. In December the same year the same fault occurred this time they replaced the DVD Mech, but at a cost of £135. Now in February 2008 the same fault has occurred and the engineer's report is that it needs a new Mech at a cost of £137. This is obviously an inbuilt fault. The life of the Mech appears to be about ten months. Sony do not want to know. I now have to purchase a new DVD Recorder. It certainly won't be a Sony

Maybe, but surely its worth a couple of quid on a cleaner first before the expense of replacing the wholse thing.
Unless of course deep down you just want a new one anyway.

Im surprised at that. ive heard many people say panasonic is a top class brand, is that just their dvd recorders which are unreliable or their tv's also?. I'll checkout pioneer, i heard they cost an arm and leg though.

The TVs and cameras are very reliable - its just the recorders

There is a software update but that seems to never work, always the laser faulty, £155 odd from charles hyde so not economical, also cleaning cd's don't usually help.

The most a software update would help with in regards to the laser is better compatibilty for new blank media ;)

DVD cleaner?

Hi

Yeah works but not all the time and manual cleaning is the best if the ONE knows whats to be done. Why? ....because depending on the laser construction a prism is in use and the dvd and respectively cd lasers are vertically mounted. The dvd one is usually more susceptible to be affected than cd because the beam size is allot smaller . And to finish the quick explanation usually Sony does this king of system prism under lens on top on the magnet assembly. Pot calibration has a low rate of success for dvd lasers without the special calibration DVD and a oscilloscope. Did some ps2 chipping years back and i never ge it right (to be compatible to all). But i suggest to look for engineering menu there is some interesting info to be seen(hours of use sometimes focus laser current)...usually a combination of keys on the remote. I use clean dry compressed air to clean ( Farnell or RS has them ) the lasers assembly because is getting under it as well but easy and try to not freeze the unit:).It will be also good to know if the problem came suddenly of gradually.

BR Sylma

Hi

Yeah works but not all the time and manual cleaning is the best if the ONE knows whats to be done. Why? ....because depending on the laser construction a prism is in use and the dvd and respectively cd lasers are vertically mounted. The dvd one is usually more susceptible to be affected than cd because the beam size is allot smaller . And to finish the quick explanation usually Sony does this king of system prism under lens on top on the magnet assembly. Pot calibration has a low rate of success for dvd lasers without the special calibration DVD and a oscilloscope. Did some ps2 chipping years back and i never ge it right (to be compatible to all). But i suggest to look for engineering menu there is some interesting info to be seen(hours of use sometimes focus laser current)...usually a combination of keys on the remote. I use clean dry compressed air to clean ( Farnell or RS has them ) the lasers assembly because is getting under it as well but easy and try to not freeze the unit:).It will be also good to know if the problem came suddenly of gradually.

BR Sylma

The problem suddenly came i think, it was working one moment then it ejected every disc. Would it only be worth accessing the engineering menu if i performed manual cleaning also?

Back