DVB - PC Cards DVB-C software that works for me

charlieram

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, here is the software that i have tried with my twinhan DVB-C CI card using fenrir/yankse or other plugins, i have no cam as yet.

DVBDream, Very good software, supports MDAPI plugins only let down is lack of decent on screen EPG

ProgDVB, not bad similar to DVBDream but you have to find or make graphs for codecs,lack of decent OSG EP, also supports MDAPI plugins

AltDVB, Good Picture, lots of options and therefore difficult to set up and lack of decent OSG EPG, supports plugins

MyTheatre, the one i use at present, nice looking OSG but recordings/timeshift not perfect (pixelises occasionally) and when stretching 4:3 to widescreen makes it look like a fishbowl effect, supports DVBCORE plugins and MDAPI plugins with MDwrapper

MediaPortal, Most looks like Media Centre but buggy, going from fullscreen to window mode crashes,Kills my EH services (used by MCE2005) which i dont like, supports MDAPI plugins with a 3rd party plugin (MP4MDAPI)

ChrisTV, Couldn't get this one to tune my card, Crashed at random times during tuning.

WatchTVPro, Again I can't get this one tuning as it wont let me select a provider and therefore tries to scan all frequencies but crashes almost instantly.

I will keep looking and trying different apps until i find the perfect one and if anybody thinks they may have found it then please let us know, I would also like other peoples opinions on the above apps and the codecs/renderers they use and find to be the best.

Using mediaportal with no issues whatsoever

Was previously using showshifter which is also good but looks dated and the company has now gone bump but the software can still be found

I figured out the mytheatre apsect stretchy thing, I'm now using that with antepg plugin to get an epg with fav selection and icons, also show search and rock stable (most important), tried media portal and it totally screwed up to the point where windows install/repair said unknown disk format (normally it would know it was ntfs) that was while trialling a couple of records between fullscreen and minimised but it didn't respond at all so restarted and pow! no OS, no nothing.

I now think i have found the software for me, DVBViewer, I knew about it long ago but never tried it as there was no demo but after reading a bit more about it decided to take the plunge. It was only 15 euros so no biggie if it didn't work. I have it running my DVB-C and DVB-t cards, its skinnable(and fairly easily editable) and ticks all but one of my boxes, I would like the ability to search the epg using favourite categories , it does have a favourite selection page but i want it in the epg!!
Any way I can strongly recomend this software even if the forums main language is german, there is still a strong english presence

Back