Drive is on its way out

danger mouse

Inactive User
Reaction score
sooooooooo

xbox 360 with a benq drive, disc read error, generally it will start up but then dies shortly (minutes) after. Having had a read about it seems that a pot tweak or laser swap would be the way to try and deal with it.

anyhow, ive dug out a few tut's n vid's to try and get myself "educated" on the whats n whens of it all but before i bite the bullet ive got a couple of questions.

1. Is theire only one type of Benq laser?

2. Is their anything i should keep in mind other than the info from the tut's, words of wisdom from those who have done this before

3. Do i need to do anything other than literally take 1 out n pop 1 in?

4. Does anyone want to do it for me, teeside area or can post, save me the bother and risk, lol

cheers in advance for the replies guys

It`s easy m8 , last time i looked there was only one type , benq/liteon same laser , try modtraders.co.uk. Don`t forget to take the anti-static solder off as well.

It`s easy m8 , last time i looked there was only one type , benq/liteon same laser , try modtraders.co.uk. Don`t forget to take the anti-static solder off as well.

Guy on ebay does them for £7 delivered, or £8 delivered with the static ball removed.

i gave up with lasers and ebay, had 1 guy send me a replacement twice and they still didnt work lol

anyone got a link to a "good" ebay seller?

yup i pot tweak them all no difference, both the sd63 ones and liteon version, gave up with them lol

I have used them both with no problems.Just use a small thin screwdriver to open the xbox up,
cheers, for the sake of a couple of quid is it better to get 1 over the other?

also is it worth buying the "proper" opening tool while im getting it?

Back