Don't write off the NHS

hamba

Inactive User
Reaction score
Don't write off the NHS

The service's reputation has been hurt this week, but that's no reason to abandon Bevan's baby

The NHS is the envy of the world, we're told, but we have a better chance of dying of cancer than our neighbours in France, Germany, Sweden, Iceland or even Poland, and if you are at high risk for stroke you might like to think about emigrating. Two reports this week, and they were not the flimsy scaremongering variety but from medical heavyweights, will have given the Department of Health a collective headache and made the rest of us justifiably twitchy.

It's a bad week for those who like to cuddle up to the notion that the state will sort us out if we are sick, but its too early to write off Bevan's baby as a creature that never grew up. It might be different if the reasons for poor performance in cancer and stroke care were the same, but they are not.

Cancer is an emotive issue and the greater fuss will probably be made over our latest poor showing in the Eurocare studies. These chronicle the level of five-year survival - the proportion of people living after diagnosis for at least five years - for different types of cancer. The latest measures survival for those diagnosed between 1995 and 1999 and follows them to 2003, while a second study estimates survival for those diagnosed between 2000 and 2002 and compares Europe's performance with the US's.

And of course Europe trails the US, and the UK trails most of affluent Europe. And that's after big funding increases attached to the national cancer plan for England in 2000. It's not good. It's all very well to argue that the bells and whistles of the cancer plan were not in place when these patients were diagnosed. They were still treated during the early years of the plan. Many would agree with the editorial in the Lancet Oncology, which published the study, that the answer to the question has the cancer plan worked is "seemingly no".

But cancer tsar Mike Richards's careful response also has truth in it. First, our data collection is better than that of most countries. But second, we have a social problem to tackle that is rooted in the inequalities that underlie so much in the UK. Poor people and many ethnic minorities do not go to the GP at the first symptom that could be cancer. Many people leave it too late.

Then there is stroke care. Professor Hugh Markus from St George's, University of London, painted a grim picture, citing three major studies to show UK patients were more likely to die or become disabled by stroke than in comparable European countries. Is money at the root of it? Well, no. We spend as much as other countries. But we spend it in the wrong way. We're focused on caring for people who have had a stroke, when what is needed is action when the stroke occurs. Key to a good outcome are clot-busting drugs, which can be administered in the ambulance. They caught on a lot faster elsewhere. In the past in the UK, he told Channel 4 News, people, by which he meant doctors, thought stroke was boring.

What these barrages of criticism tell us about the NHS is that it is not brilliant across the board. Must try harder. But two poor grades in two distinct subjects don't make for a failed health service. The NHS deals with a vast range of conditions and has a lot of very happy customers. Time and again, as the government loves to tell us, patient surveys reveal that we love and admire our doctors and value the care we get.

And only a few weeks back, we had a study that came up with a very different conclusion. The Commonwealth Fund in the US compared healthcare in the UK, Germany, the US, Australia, New Zealand and Canada across a range of measures. Who came last? The biggest spender, the US. Who came first? The UK. And the main reason was that everybody has free access to good care. It's time to work on the NHS, not write it off.

Sarah Boseley
Saturday August 25, 2007
Guardian Unlimited
© Guardian News and Media Limited 2007

NHS is great when you get seen to, but I dont think it should be free wouldnt get timewasters. I think treatment should be subsidised like with the Dentists and Opticians but not free. Im sure if theyre was some fee alot would differ and the NHS wouldnt be in the situation its in now.

NHS is great when you get seen to, but I dont think it should be free wouldnt get timewasters. I think treatment should be subsidised like with the Dentists and Opticians but not free. Im sure if theyre was some fee alot would differ and the NHS wouldnt be in the situation its in now.

No thanks!

I say keep it free, not everyone can afford to pay for treatment, the poor would then be poor and unhealthy. If anyone wants to pay for it then they can go to Bupa or similar but NHS should forever remain free.

It really so wrong to just pay 10% of whatever the treatment costs? Wouldnt you rather be seen quicker and by less over stressed staff who are prone to making mistakes for working long hours to cover the shortage of staff in the current crisis. I know theres probably so many debates on this.

Some of the staff are known to work 12 hours a day, thats half a day, I cant even stay awake that long most of the time.

And the unemployed, elderly and young get everything else free anyway so yes it should stay free for those but I dont see whats wrong with asking some of the working class people to pay something?

The NHS owes millions and its in grave danger of being shut down and being turned completly privitised, Im sure just having a small charge for treatment wouldnt hurt those working people.

No harm to you blah but the working class people do pay something, its called national health contributions. I have been paying it every week all my working life and I sure done use it every week, in fact I have been lucky enough to use it very little. If I want to pay extra then the option is there for me with Bupa.

Not sure if your on about national insurance or not but that doesnt count towards the NHS, sorry if your on about something else.

Not sure if your on about national insurance or not but that doesnt count towards the NHS

A good point, and very true I'm afraid. Your National Insurance contributions just disappear into the same bottomless pit as all the other taxes you pay. It's a popular misconception that it goes exclusively to the NHS and the pension fund.

Not sure if your on about national insurance or not but that doesnt count towards the NHS, sorry if your on about something else.

I cant tell you how many times I have typed that when debating this (and am always corrected....lol)

What I meant was I pay Tax every week of my working life and I get private medical insurance from my employer but I must also pay tax on that along with tax on everything else.

When there is a war or a natural disaster or something here or afar, then our government always find the money for it, so they can pay for it as I pay enough.

btw...I am not anti military or anything, it is just an example.

alot of the reason for nhs being stretched is the growing population, mainly due to immigration. Free nhs is a temptation for many let alone work and good standard of living!

It's not FREE. Workers contribute to the system. The only people who get free treatment are people who have never contributed.

My wife is a Human Resources Manager at an NHS trust. She reckons one of the main problems is that it's 70% women and they spend half the time competing with each other instead of working as a team. The solution: Employ more men! <tic>

Back