Dongle - Wireless 'Aquiring Network Address'

blanno

Inactive User
Reaction score
* Got an Edimax dongle which is working fine. There's a Service that runs with it called 'Ralink Registry Writer'. If i set this to 'Automatic', 'Manual' or 'Disabled' the dongle seems to run perfect either way. Does anyone know what 'Ralink Registry Writer.exe' does? I don't mind keeping it on if it's a feature worth having, but if it does bugger all I'll disable it...?!?!?

* Another issue to do with wireless is - sometimes, but not always, when I restart my computer the wireless tray icon starts acting strange and it says it's 'Aquiring Network Address'. It seems to access the Net OK and if i right-click and select repair it sorts itself out. How can I fix this for good?
# - Just for you to know, I have a static IP, just incase it makes a difference. But this problem is a recent one and i've had a static IP for ages.??!??!
# - I also use the 2 OpenDns addresses for primary and alternative Dns names. Does that make a difference?
# - If I leave it to it's own devices it wont fix itself, I have to Right-Click and select 'repair' then it sorts itself out. It's weird though coz I can still use explorer and when browsing it seems fine.
# - I Changed DHCP service to 'Manual' instead of 'Automatic', [thinking the system was trying to sort out an IP address when I already have a Static IP] and that worked for a day or two then the problem came back.
# - I also noticed in 'Event Viewer' in 'Security' the following Error pops up now and again - 'Event ID: 615 'IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine'.
I Don't know if these two problems are related at all?
Thanx Alot EveryBody!!
GodSpeed!!

i take it you have a router, where abouts have you told it that you have (want) a static ip address.

Normally you can do this the router side and then leave dchp enabled, you normally go into the router and wack the NIC address in along with the ip adddress that you want to give to the system and then everytime you start the machine then it will be giving that IP address. leaving DCHP enabled of course.

Google states that "'Event ID: 615 'IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine"

Use services.msc to disable the ipsec service and stop it to see if that helps your problem or not.

Could be something to do with the DNS settings that your using as well, you say that you use 2 of them?

cheers for the reply Dibbers,
Yeah I got sky broadband and i've been inside the router settings and the IP is listed in there along with my dad's [2 stand alone computers using the same wireless router]
I thought dhcp was just for renewing your IP? The connection has been working better since I disabled it, I get this problem once a day now instead of four or five times a day.
I've tried turning TCP/Net BIOS helper off and turning off IPSEC Services also and I don't get a connection at all.
I've flushed the dns cache and that makes no difference either.
The strange thing is I can get onto the internet and browse fine and there seems to be no problems, it's just the tray icon is telling me it's acquiring information and it never resolves, it only sorts itself out if i right-click and select 'repair'??
If i select 'repair' with dhcp enabled it tries to renew my IP even though it's a static IP, that's why I turned dhcp off. Now when I select 'repair' it just fixes the connection tidy.
Also, yes i have 2 DNS addresses, when you set your static IP it asks for 2, a 'Primary' and an 'Alternative' DNS address. Since OpenDns Supply 2 addresses I put them both in. It hasn't caused any problems before though.
I've also enabled 'NetBIOS over TCP/IP' [Windows tells you to do this if you have a static IP].
These are all changes I've made since the problem started though and all the changes seem to make the intermittent problem less frequent??
Cheers again!
Any ideas what 'Ralink Registry Writer.exe' does? I know it's to do with the Edimax dongle, but I don't know what it does??
TA!

Last edited:
ralink registry writer.exe

I think makes sure that RaUI.exe is running.

Which might be the GUI for your wireless NIC.

cheers thecelticfan, that sounds about right.
I contacted Edimax and they were really vague, said it 'automatically conected the dongle' and had something to do with the dongle being 'backwards compatible with 802.11[b/g]' But if that's the case how come I've been using the dongle for months and months both with the software supplied and without [using wireless autoconfig' with xp] and the 'registry writer' has been disabled and it's worked OK? decided to keep it on manual anyway, if it needs to start up it will.
Think I sorted the other problem - I found a command on some forum for
re-setting wireless connection to it's original defaults. Never found out what was wrong though, it got worse before re-setting also. Nightmare.
Thanx EveryBody!!
Tatty-Bye

Back