Domain Registration scam

G

greekpig

Hi.

Had a letter from "EU Registry Services" in the week asking to renew one of my domains for 2 years for £60. This isn't the first time this has happened, but it's the 1st time from a UK company - they're based in Cambridge.

They've just used the "whois" records of the domain to get my records and renewal date, and tried it on to get me to reregister the domain with them for £40 over the top - and of course if I did reregister with them my domain hosting services from my current provider would terminate, so the domain would go down.

They make no mention that they are not my current provider - just say "please renew immediately . . . if payment is not made to the registry . . .the domain is subject to immediate suspension . . .etc." They provide an email address to which I have sent suitable abuse.

BTW - does anyone know whether I can report this behaviour, and who to? I don't know if it's illegal, but it should be. :mad:

Hi Mairyhinge.

That's not a bad idea - they might know who to contact.

It isn't their problem though, because the "whois" lookup system applies to all .com domains at least. If you go to www.nic.com and click on the "whois" link, then you can get all the details you need to send this letter for virtually any .com domain assuming the domain has been registered with legit details (including world-of-digital.com).

I guess these people have automated systems harvesting these details and they send letters out to the people who's domains are about to expire.

I thought nominet were the UK internet names organisation, and nothing to do with the .COM domain?

The nice thing about ukreg.com is that you can configure the whois records to whatever you like, so you can set them to a fictional address, person, phone number, etc. if you wish. The thing is is that I thought that although you can do that, I have had a warning from ukreg.com before saying that the regulations state that your whois records must be correct, and if they are not, then your domain can be removed from you - and so I put mine right. I know other people who have kept theirs ficticious without a problem, so may be that's the answer.

I know that "Network Solutions" are protective about their whois details - don't know how or anything, but that route could be another answer.

theres another scam on the same lines where someone actually phones a company up saying someone else is trying to register a domain, this domain name is very similar or the same as your companies trading name and "do you mind". You find out the only way to stop this supposed registering is to do it youreself, right then and there. An you know what - they can help you do it, for a small concession of course.

Strange how they go to so much trouble for you and not the, evidently, fictious company that wants to do the registration, that initially prompted their "helpful" call !

Dont know how theyve got the balls

last year i subbed to a company in south wales and they asked me to look into registering a domain for them so they could have addys like [email protected] so i looked up a few different variations of the name for them. the next day (after id told them what was available) they had a phone call from an internet domain registration company telling them that someone had been looking at names similar to theirs and for around the £100 mark they would reserve it untill they were ready to use it, but it had to reserved during that phone call or they couldnt guarantee that it would be there in 3 mins time let alone tomorrow if you had to think about it.

robbing tw@s lol

Response from UKREG.COM . . .

"Unfortunately the whois details are publically viewable and as such contacting you in this manner is not illegal in itself. With .com domains, there is no central governing body responsible for registration, and as such it is difficult to do anything with companies such as this."

Incredible that companies can do this sort of thing and not only get away with it, but be allowed to do it too.

Also asked them if I might lose my domain if I use made-up WHOIS details. There response . . .

"We would take no action against you if you did this."

. . . so I've changed all mine. That'll stop the b*ggers.

only trouble there is that by giving false details then when the time comes to renew they will be sending a reminder to the details as per the records so you never receive notification and then wonder why your domain name expires ???

All you need is an email address which works in the whois details. What I've done is to have an email address which forwards to me, but is something I can change at a later date and block, so any SPAM generated by the email address in the WHOIS details can be blocked.

Back