dmca tactic ?? streaming and the demise of download sites.

nice reply`s.

as for the nzb`s , most are password protected now to stop the takedowns
but when an nzb site goes down and there are users who rely on that site for their series / movie fix.
they go to streaming.. so the scene has lost x amount of participants

same when pirate bay died.. the words ****box and other apps spread like wild fire amongst the younger scene people

we have to realize that the scene structure still exists
0 day sites relies on couriers, relies on leaks/cracks ,relies on secrecy ,relies on demand

when the person at the end of the chain decides they only need to stream (cutting out the demand,secrecy and leaks) and no longer participates then the scene dies and there is no reason for zero day boards. hence the free scene dies and we all subscribe to a dubious source.

i may be doom and gloom but there is a definite shift in the powers that give us the free content

ok - back to the conspiracy channels for me.. ancient aliens and world war 2 documentarys lol

regards jase

forgot to mention that most of my mates are now using chromecast dongle and streaming now as its 'easier than downloading'

regards
jase

Personally been using Usenet/NZB's for over 15 years and i still get everything i want even with the DMCA brigade all thats happened is files have now been coded with passwords and i actually get anything i need.

Agree with a few other comments on the File sizes again personally movie wise i only watch full blu ray not even an 12-15gb rip i want unmolested Video with Dolby Atmos/DTS-HD etc..

Although i must admit since venturing into XBMC/Kodi i have watched a few TV series that have been available that i may have missed or could not be bothered to download in the first place, So it definitely has its place

Problems with usenet started when it got to easy, when the indexers got good at indexing and automation appears and you could start downloading with just a few clicks. So there is a two pronged attack, go after the indexers and go after the data (servers). Indexers are a easy target and after what happened with newzbin and nzbmatrix very few are willing to fight DMCA. Even the sites that are running today like dognzb have problems as there is pressure on credit card companies and paypal not to do business with them. Good news is that you can run your own indexer and keep it quiet however, I will tell you from experience that you need to keep on top of it and aside from needing to run a server 24x7 and having decent internet connection.

Taking down the actual posts requires knowing the post ID and the easiest way is with NZB files. So posts are obfuscated and passworded so that makes them useless to the indexing sites. The posts that can be 'decoded' get taken down. So unless you know somebody, who knows somebody, etc that knows the actual post details then they are useless. Takedowns aren't 100% so if you are willing to spend time, effort and downloads then you can usually find what you are looking for. And of course you can automate your downloads to beat DMCA takedowns.

So basically, yes usenet is still very useful and will be around for the foreseeable future, it has lost some of its appeal.

Personally I think the DMCA etc.. is fighting a losing battle.

There is only 1 way to stop uploading and that is to stop the demand, because as long as there is a demand, there will be ever increasing ways to feed it. And it's true for lots of other things too, stolen goods, knock off DVD's & CD's, designer gear, drugs etc... When has any of it been stopped.

Back