dlink dsl g604 wireless problem

johnbhoy

Inactive User
Reaction score
My mate has the above router and it came with a usb dongle. we have been trying without success and a lot of swearing to get the thing working.

Have disabled windows wireless zero utility and are using the dlink own utility. Have done all the major things like check channel. check ssid. disabled encryption for the meantime until we get a signal......

problem is that we eventually picked up a signal and had all the link information. the signal we are getting is about 86%. the router is in a bedroom upstairs and the pc isc onnected to the tv downstairs via the usb dongle.

it can cannot to the internet but only just. Its worse than dial up. its soooo slow.

anyone have any idea on how to remedry this or make it quicker. The dlink utility reports that its an excellent connection so why is it so slow.

Any help with be much appreciated as we are going insane.

I have a linksys myself which i did have similare problems with but eventually got sorted via the online support. Dlink dont appear to have this facitily.

Have you done a ping from your PC to the router to see how fast/slow it is? It is possible that there are a few sites that are slow? Are you using DHCP on the router? If not, is it possible that you have 2 PC's set to the same static IP? What about dropping your firewall on the 'slow' PC to see if it improves? See if any of those ideas help. Wireless networks can be a pain in the arse to get right but once theyre set, it should be ok!

Hmm...sounds like the USB dongle to me, are you using in a USB 1 socket or USB 2? Try un-installing the dongle drivers & start again from scratch, I'm pretty sure your problem is the client end, not the router. As Larsson says, try turning off your firewall on the client, then run the setup....

Personally I don't like the USB network adapters, much rather have a PCI card for the job....

Last edited:
OK Thanks.. will try uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling and turn the firewall of for meantime.

cheers

johnbhoy said:
I have a linksys myself which i did have similare problems with but eventually got sorted via the online support. Dlink dont appear to have this facitily.

I use the same router DSL G604T and had a few initial problems with it, I upgraded the firmware from the dlink support site and this improved things but still dropping link too often.

I on 2 ocassions have contacted DLink Support and both times I had a response within 24 Hours and the suggested a couple of changes to the router settings and it has now been trouble free for several months.

I am somewhat surprised that u seem to think the have no ONLINE SUPPORT as I have had excellent support from them.

Could not see it when navigating their home page. Please feel free to send link for this. Would be good. Cheers

Cheers lonewolfman and tocano.

I did manage to find this site but what i had in mind was the interactive help where you get to chat to someone online as in an MSN Styllleeeeee. Like Linksys support. Saves you having to spend dollar plenty on the phone. in sayng that though i think its a local rate number.

Incidentally he did try the helpline and also got someone else round who works in IT and is studying more networking exams and they have not been able to fix it either.

It seems to be either a hardware problem or one really really annoying little setting.

Just to update on this one. He mandaged o get it fixed himself by resetting all router information and then starting again.

must have been an annoying wee setting. So if in doubt. delete and start again.

Back