Discs and Pads on my Picasso!

ManofScience

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm gearing myself up to doing my discs and pads on my 04 Xara Picasso Diesel. I've got the correct ones (Bosch) and I'm ready to go. I'm sh1t with cars but did this once in my youth on my old Metro so I'm up for doing it here. I've got coppergrease, locktight, etc

Reading up, the 2 bolts holding the brake caliper mounting bracket are T55 Torx (I've got a Torx set from eBay), my Haynes manual recommends replacing these, so my question is;

1) Where'd do you buy these replacement bolts? I can't find them or what size they should be or where to buy from
2) Lots of the bolts have locktight apparently - does hot water work to loosen them as I don't have a blow torch but I do have a paint stripper - would that work?

I have never replaced the bolts, although if they looked anyway dodgy I would, not sure garages did either tbh,

Bolts with locktight on will open but may require more pressure, longer handle or bar on your wrench should suffice,

Depending on your caliper type the pistons may need to rewound in and not just pushed straight back in, so you might need a rewind tool, and don't forget to take the top of the brake fluid reservoir to allow for the extra expansion when you move the pistons back :)

Sent from my 1080P-N003 using Tapatalk

Yeah, seen people talking about having an extension to get more leverage. I'm guessing most people don't bother replacing but if I could find them cheap enough I would. if I could find them.

Just soak the other side of the bolt in wd40 before starting, once youve cracked it off a bit keep tightening then slackening a bit (two turns out one in) and keep putting a bit wd40 on it. The discs will need cleaning as they are covered in a film before fitting, turps and a clean cloth does the trick. Of and remember to easy the caliper pistons back before you remove the bolts ;-)

I've noticed the film on the discs, was gunna use meths and a cloth to clean off

Cheers chaps

Back