DigiVox not as good as previously thought :(

thomson

Inactive User
Reaction score
I told my old man to buy a digivox about one month back, since then i only asked him over the phone etc how it was working and so on, he said it was perfect etc etc, so like he said, i reported in here that it was perfect too as i trust him that way.

Anyway, last night i went up to his house, and had look at box etc, first thing i noticed was the obvious problem with the 16:9 widescreen, its not right, simple as that !

You have the button on the remote control to switch between 16:9 and smaller picture, but its actually false, the 16:9 is actually just a zoom function that makes the picture zoom in so that its full screen, but in the process it crops some of the picture at either side of the screen and you also get a drop slightly in picture quality, when you take the other option and make the picture smaller, yes you get true widescreen, but with the big black band at top n bottom of screen, so ya lose picture size top n bottom of the screen.

So in reality, the digivox is more or less just acting like a eurovox in this respect.

This issue shouldnt put anyone off buying one of these box's as to the majority of people they probably wouldnt even care or notice the difference, but i certainly can, and it would put me off buying one, apart from this, the box is fine.
I cant understand why the makers of eurovox, starview, digivox etc cant simply make the box to work perfectly on 16:9 widescreens etc, I mean, surley it cant be that difficult to make the box's work properley when they make them, bloody idiots, lol.....Do they think maybe everyone is sitting with old fashioned 4:3 tv's ??? Well if they do, they are wrong !!! I will shout this too them ""MOST PEOPLE NOW DAYS ARE USING WIDESCREEN TV'S YOU BUNCH OF FOOLS"", so get it fixed please.

I didn't like the numbering of the channels myself (i think bbc1 was something like 1407)
and you couldn't simply press 1 to get to bbc1.
the menu looked like a childrens book and as you say the 16:9 aspect ratio is not all it's cracked up to be.
I got rid of mine after a week, best decision i ever made in my opinion.

yes they are not great but the one thing i did like was the epg was excellent full day on all channels

@scott-ayling well lucky you m8 my epg is very patchy some channels at certain times of day have no epg at all and none of them are more than a few hours, certainly not 24hrs ever. My terrestrial freeview box has 8 days of epg on every channel all day.

edogg

my epg is fine on mine no probs at all
u cant really complain ur getting something for nowt

No epg whatsoever,and the same for a few peeps in my area...
Not complaining.....just stating the obvious

my epg is fine on mine no probs at all
u cant really complain ur getting something for nowt

yea i know what you mean mate, but the epg aside, the 16:9 problem i described in the threads first post is terrible, i mean, if they are going to go to the bother of building these box's then they should AT LEAST make sure it works properley in 16:9 mode, feckin idiots !! you say "ya cant complain really as yer getting summit for nowt", actually i agree with you and disagree at the same time, yes you get free tv channels, but the other way i look at it is, if you went and bought a freeview box or summit from currys etc and it had a shambles of a 16:9 setup when its promises to be perfect (i.e - the button on the remote), you would take the box back in two secs and have money back, know what i mean ?? but i guess the fact that we'r getting free channels overshadows the 16:9 issue in a way, would do my head in though, thats why ive got me old dreambox, 16:9 spot on with that.

Tell me this somebody, apart from the dreambox, Dbox and cable companys box's, is there any other box's that display the "true 16:9 widescreen" ???

yep I'm pretty sure my replay pvr has a true 16:9 but not on all channels I think some programs are still broadcast as 4:3 for instance NCIS on channel 5 and Animal Planet would seam to be 4:3 channel because the digivox shows a stretched picture which means the middle is stretched and you lose the L/R edges of the picture.

Back