Digital Britain: Guardian's full coverage

I have a few questions about this...I dont expect answers from members ...lol

1. Does this 50p/month make us shareholders.

2. Are they going to give the broadband away for free....somehow I dont think so.

3. As I presume they wont give BB away for free, do we get a cut of the profits for our 50p.

We are now going to be taxed for something someone else will be using....thats just dandy..............................NOT.

British ISPs will be required to cut illegal filesharing on their networks by 70% within a year under new powers set to be given to the communications regulator Ofcom, the Digital Britain report, published today, says.

I dont understand how they are going to distinguish between legal filesharing and non legal filesharing ??? Do they just look at traffic on the ports from the various p2p methods ???

Sure they could look at filenames but without actually downloading every file that is ever downloaded from different p2p methods themselves and checking if its legal or not, how will they know ??

After all, you could be sharing freeware, movie trailers, ect (you get the idea)

If enough people got cut off for sharing genuinely only legal files then i'm sure enough of a fuss could be kicked up to get this whole thing laughed out with all the human rights ect

I might be completely wrong here and have missed something obvious but just my take on it.

Last edited:
I dont understand how they are going to distinguish between legal filesharing and non legal filesharing ??? Do they just look at traffic on the ports from the various p2p methods ???

Sure they could look at filenames but without actually downloading every file that is ever downloaded from different p2p methods themselves and checking if its legal or not, how will they know ??

After all, you could be sharing freeware, movie trailers, ect (you get the idea)

If enough people got cut off for sharing genuinely only legal files then i'm sure enough of a fuss could be kicked up to get this whole thing laughed out with all the human rights ect

I might be completely wrong here and have missed something obvious but just my take on it.

Nope, you have not missed something and you make a very good point.
:Clap:

1. Does this 50p/month make us shareholders..

No, its just another tax

2. Are they going to give the broadband away for free....somehow I dont think so..

Get something back from a tax. You having a laugh ?

3. As I presume they wont give BB away for free, do we get a cut of the profits for our 50p..

Fat chance, taxes go to the chancellor so he can pay MP's to get their moats cleaned.

We are now going to be taxed for something someone else will be using....thats just dandy..............................NOT.

Yep, thats how taxes work. You pay for some skiver to get connected !

The tax is going to pay for people who live in the countryside...

What about fibre optics, they seem to be avoiding the subject. Once again, we're going to be left behind with all this.

well i will get rid of my landline phone, dont use it much theses days

Back