Dell Server - Can I get better for cheaper?

mobad

Inactive User
Reaction score
1 SmartValue/Q309/T105/SV3T1051 474.00 474.00 S
PE T105 Dual Core Opteron 1220 (2.8GHz, 2x1MB) 1 S
UK/Irish Power Cord with English Docs 1 S
2GB (2x1GB Dual Rank DIMMs) 667MHz 1 S
250GB Serial ATA 7.2k 3.5" HD Non Hot Plug 1 S
250 GB, SATA, 3.5-inch, 7.2K rpm, Additional HD 1 S
SAS 6i/R Internal Controller Card RAID 1 S
16X DVD+/-RW Drive with SATA Cable 1 S
Display : Not Included 1 S
No Mouse Required 1 S
No Keyboard Required 1 S
No Operating System 1 S
PE T105 Open Manage CD + Drivers Includes Electronic Documentation 1 S
You have chosen not to take the Dell PowerEdge installation service 1 S
C4 ASS R1 SAS6iR RAID Controller Exactly 2 Drives 1 S
PowerEdge Order - United Kingdom 1 S
Base Warranty 1 S
1Yr Basic Warranty - Next Business Day - Minimum Warranty 1 S
3Yr Basic Warranty - Next Business Day 1 S
Declined ProSupport 1 S
VAT Summary
VAT
Type
VAT Rate
%
GBP
Total Net £
GBP
VAT £
S 17.5 474.00 82.95
GBP
Subtotal 474.00
Freight 0.00
VAT £ 82.95
Total 556.95

Any 1 know if I can get this spec or better for cheaper from else where or even dell?

what has the server got to do ? is it just gonna be pdc, file and print server ?

how many clients is it going to server etc

ie what jobs, it could well be over spec'd what you have selected

i got a dual core dell server 4 months ago, on a special offer for £125 inc delivery then added my own hdd, o/s etc.

Dont bother with extra warranty if it doesnt fail in the first 3 months then the only thing that will fail will be hdd, and its cheaper to swop your self than getting some dell bod to come and swop.....

what has the server got to do ? is it just gonna be pdc, file and print server ?

how many clients is it going to server etc

ie what jobs, it could well be over spec'd what you have selected

i got a dual core dell server 4 months ago, on a special offer for £125 inc delivery then added my own hdd, o/s etc.

Dont bother with extra warranty if it doesnt fail in the first 3 months then the only thing that will fail will be hdd, and its cheaper to swop your self than getting some dell bod to come and swop.....

The server will only be used for accessing a database, retrieving files from, Print server and RDC.
Also it will be used for a standalone Desktop machine for time to time image editing.

Around 6 users in total will be accessing the server.

What do you guys suggest?

Hm, it doesnt mention what sort of DB it uses on that wonderful site. So its probably a proprietary DB of some sort. A shame, as that means it is harder to say if you need a lot of resource on the server or not...

To be honest, I am shocked that people are buying software like this. Overpriced springs to mind instantly when I read the specs and what it actually does... Still, never mind.

have you considered just getting a NAS for file and print serving and coughing up for more licenses for this app?

Well I think this app was bought by the manager few years back so im not totally sure he paid the price that is quoted now.
Any how the main issue really ain't the licenses or accessing the database from each computer ( if possible without buy licenses then would be great) but really its speeding up the network and using the server as a point of accessing data from and using the same server as a stand alone desktop for doing photo editing from time to time.

I think its crucial it has good dual/quad core processor as it will probably come in handy in the future if not now with at least 2-3gig ram.

In that case, go with the one you quoted from Dell.

If network speed is an issue, get a proper wired network installed, gigabit should help. And pay for a decent switch that supports vlans etc so that you can seperate out some of the traffic.

Well at the moment the laptops were running slow but after checking the laptops they were all on 512mb ram.
Upgraded them to 1.5gigz and it seems to be running better.

The price dell have quoted is a good price or could I get cheaper from another company - maybe - Server from Equanet ??

if you are buying a server get it from Dell or HP. They have a very high build quality and good aftercare/support.

So do you think for the spec ive been quoted I could get cheaper else where?
I need to make a decission by tonight, so all ur views/points are much appreciated!

Cheers!

this database is running at the moment if its a few years old i assume, what is it running on now ?
in all honesty if the database is a 1 user program then having a server is a bit over kill.
for 6 users you would probably be better staying as a work group and buying a good spec workstn, especially if its going to be used as a workstn from time to time.
whilst 6 users in a work group is manageable you are adding a single point of failure in a system that probably doesn't need it.

auch, your right - but the design of the system does not really allow for primetive applications like this.

I would argue that a server is the best way forward for their needs.

hmm I see your point hatab but with the server it will help more in regards to administer the network for me remotely. Not only just that, it will make the setup far more professional as then each user can have their own profile with their own rights and im sure in the future if they want to expand it will come in handy.

From the way I see it, the server can do the same as what the desktop can but will be far more structured.

Is that a fair comment?

yes m8 if you are going to remote admin then a server is the way to go, 6 users in a work group can be tricky especially if ur remote.

what server software are you going to use ? 2003 or 2008 ? if you are going to use server as an occasional workstn make sure what ever software you want to use that it is server compatible.

Good point - I will use win server 2k3 and apart from rentman, I will be using Adobe.
Im assuming adobe image ready, cs3 etc should run fine on win server 2k3?

Guys im making a final decision tonight and need your assistance.

I have re-speced (below) the server as I decided Raid was not needed. In the last 3-4 years the office hasn't had a problem with its hard drive and I can pickup a USB external and back up to that or back up to a Buffalo NAS Terrastation.

What do you guys think of the new spec and price?
Could I get better if I built it myself. As its for the office ive opted for a 3 year warranty or the price would have been £80-£90 cheaper.

DELL PowerEdge™ T105(SV3T1051) Qty 1
Quad Core AMD Opteron™ 1352, 2.1GHz, 4X512K Cache, 75W ACP Unit Price £535.00
Get £187 Off!
Expires 29 October 2008 View Details
- £187.00
Catalog Number: 202 SV3T1051
Module Description Show Details
Base Quad Core AMD Opteron™ 1352, 2.1GHz, 4X512K Cache, 75W ACP
Memory 2GB Memory, DDR2, 800MHz (4x512MB Single Ranked DIMMs)
Keyboard No Keyboard Required
Monitor Display Not Included
Mouse No Factory Installed Mouse
Optical Devices 48X DVD/CDRW Combo Drive with SATA Cable
Shipping Documents UK/Irish powercord and English Documentation
Base warranty 1Yr Basic Warranty - Next Business Day
Support Services 3Yr Basic Warranty - Next Business Day
Installation Services Optional Server Installation - not selected (contact sales rep for details)
Raid Connectivity No RAID configuration, 1 or 2 SATA Hard Drives connected to onboard SATA controller
Systems Management Electronic Documentation and Open Manage CD Kit
Order Information PowerEdge Order - United Kingdom
Factory Installed Operating System Not Included
1st Hard Drive 250GB, SATA, 3.5-inch, 7.2K RPM Hard Drive (Cabled)
TOTAL :£348.00

Total excl. VAT VAT Rate Total incl. VAT
Sub-total £348.00 17.50 % £408.90
Total Delivery Charge £49.00 17.50 % £57.58
Total Price £397.00 £466.48

Back