Dell Power Edge

hannibal

Member +
Reaction score
I have just bought a poweredge server for my office to network 5 pc's along with a powerconnect unmanaged switch using SB server 2003 SE. Dell said was easy to set up, but has turned out to be very confusing and complicated. If anyone could offer me any advice or a site that has specifics on setup in ley mans speak I would be gratful. The instructions are vague to say the least and assume a lot of pror knowledge.

at what stage are u, what have u done ?

having said it complicated a confusing i assume u have started.........what do u need assistance with
setting up server
setting up the physicall network
setting up users and shares etc etc

I have set up the server 2003 software as per destructions. I tried to get physical network setup and got lost at that stage. Gone into the 'to do' menu on server and opened add clients but could only get restricted network servive on test pc. What network settings do I need on each pc?

ill try and help a bit now but had a few drinks :) so bare with me
first off connect all pc's and server to switch.
did u setup dhcp on server ?
if yes
on pc's setup in networking to use tcp/ip and select automatically obtain ip
if no then when win2003 server starts one of the options is to config dhcp, u can do this from the admin tools, best just chosing defaults
when u setup server it will have asked u what domain was called.
all pc's need to join domain.
u also need to setup users on server, dont setup users on individual pc's.
u set these up in active directory
shit there is loads, u dont realise untill u start to type it up :(

sorry a bit disjointed :) these are the pointers......try these and come back with questions (cos u will have them).

i will see whats here 2 morra....good luck

For now I just need the pc's to recognise the server and vice versa and get file sharing sorted out. Then I can work on internet access and printer sharing.

hi hanibal
ok, :)
turn on server, make sure all pc connected to hun/switch and turn them on.
log on to server as administrator and the browse to my network connections and click all network, can u see all 5 pc's ?
i suspect u wont because u are asking the questions.
on server click start\admin tools\dhcp
this should open a window on the lert there should be an entry sumat like
+computer name.domain name.co.uk these would have been questions asked when u setup server for example
+server.work.co.uk
in the right hand window does it have a green dot or red ? next to server name.
if green then u have dhcp running on server if red then u dont
if green,
go to first pc and open network connection start\my network places\ undertasks chose \network connection\properties\tcp/ip\ properties
select button for obtain ip automatically
then start\control panel\system\computer name and check that the workstation has the same domain name as server as above domain is work, if it isnt then click on change and follow sceen prompts.
it will ask u what domain u want to join and will ask for a user name and password for accsess, this may take a min or so.
eventually it should say welcome to the work domain u need to reboot.
reboot pc and then log on with admin (server) account making sure in the three line when u boot pc are visable user name, password and domain, if it says this computer in the bottom line click the down arrow for the work domain.
give that a try :)
if that works do for all pc's, u will then need to setup users on server so they log in with there own logins not admin.

ps where abouts are u in country ? what town/city ? it maybe im close...pm if u wish

i assume where you said if green, should have been, 'if red' ?

I am in N.Ireland, definately not close to Leicester.
Perhaps you could give me you mobile and best times to call you?

mmm i doubt ill be passing :)

pm sent

I have managed to lock my self out of the win ser 2003. I have tried re-installing the software from scratch, but at some some point it prompts for user name and password again which it will not except, even though I had reset them during the setup process.

Is there any wa I can by pass the log on system?

Back