Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dell L702X BIOS password needed

wolfy600

Inactive User
Hello all not sure I'm in the right place but just wondering if there is anyone here that could help, just bought a used Dell XPS laptop and I got locked out of the bios and now the computer would start until I set the system clock I have tried to use some generators but they are for five digit and mine is an eight digit code (896A99DA) service tag number is H4LJYP1 I have called Dell and got nowhere unless I extend the warranty for 249.00????

So any help would be apperciated:licka:

As it's Win 7 you may have to run Command Prompt in "Elevated Mode": Start > Search programmes and files > cmd > [right click] on cmd.exe > Run as administrator > try The Dentist's suggestion again.

No luck yet, I could run as an the admin or in the "Elevated Mode" but the laptop does not recognise the commands??? is there a debuger tool that I should download or is this part of win7?

can I assume that the bios are the PHOENIX BIOS? and just to be safe and not tobe a pest but would I do the following

debug PRESS ENTER
o 70 2E PRESS ENTER
o 71 FF PRESS ENTER
quit PRESS ENTER

PHOENIX BIOS
O 70 FF
O 71 17
Q

Doesn't work. It resets the CMOS settings, but will not reset the password on the L702x.

The PW generators don't seem to work with the newer short service tags Dell is using. For instance, my service tag is 59SYSQ1, and does not work with the generator either.

I have found if you flash the BIOS and have it re-write all regions it will reset the lockout so you may try to guess the old password again (3 attempts). This is a poor way to try and remember though. Default passwords do not work, and Dell seems to be using the same tool everyone else is using. They claim the hint codes are coming up "invalid" on their end. They want to replace the motherboard to fix the problem.

Last edited:
i think it might be DellDell or DeLLDeLL or DELLDELL . its something like that. had same trouble
with a dell not long ago, a cant remember exactly what the capital letters are but a think it was
just the d's. it worked for me

Back