Dell L702X BIOS password needed

wolfy600

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello all not sure I'm in the right place but just wondering if there is anyone here that could help, just bought a used Dell XPS laptop and I got locked out of the bios and now the computer would start until I set the system clock I have tried to use some generators but they are for five digit and mine is an eight digit code (896A99DA) service tag number is H4LJYP1 I have called Dell and got nowhere unless I extend the warranty for 249.00????

So any help would be apperciated:licka:

I have tried that and it comes up with the wrong password? when talking to dell they said the motherboard would need to be replaced which made no sense to me, the computer has been working fine

can you post a screenshot of the bios screen using a phone camera or something?
Im suspecting the xps using a phoenix bios rather than dells own and you cant generate it using the asset tag, you will need an error code.

well after three wrong pass words it pops up with "System Locked" and regenerates a new "Unlock Key Hint Number" which is now 8B4A62F2
essensially it seems they give you three trys then it regenerates a new key and I tried six times and it does the same

Try one of the following. Remeber they are case sensitive.

vu6y0wms
ravpougz
goabrGaV4m3PqJ1U

Also, if it doesnt work, can you give me the last 4 digits of the asset tag? should be something like -595B

or try this:
9ik1cow1
jld5d4sf
squ9x0jpFOkofmHy

Last edited:
ok I tried and they all failed and it does want me to try to recover the system with an image or recover disk. not sure what to do? should I try to recover or continue to try to get into the bios to be able to adjust the settings? it has now popped up with a new error code and it will only let me put in eight digits,it is now trying to repair itself but the express service tag is
37283367781xps2.jpeg
and the system tag is H4LJYP1

I think this is what your asking for ,, these are the only stickers on the bottom other than the windows sticker

Strange one. Can you actually get into the BIOS setup screen? Does it let you flash a BIOS? If so you might be able to use the cmbios program.

not sure if this helps but in the process of booting from the second drive which also has windows 7 it has popped up with a blue screen that says check attached picture

just to you know the computer originally popped up with "system clock" I'm not what the message was xps3.jpeg

I can not get into the bios that is why Im trying to get the password the computer will not start , Im stuck between the bios password needed and a broken windows? I belive the system wants me to set the clock

I was able to set the clock and date through Dos and I was able to reload windows and I am doing the updates everything seems like it might work but my questions is there software that will allow me to change the bios password in windows?

do you know if it is sort of fool proof or I guess the question is, it should not let me install something incorrectly right?meaning an old version or the wrong version?

Ohhhh so it wasn't a startup password!! In that case see my thread on the forum above. There is an msdos command on how to get rid of it using the debug tool once you are in windows. Be careful tho cos if you do it wrong you can screw it up.

my problem has been the bios password, without it I did not know that I could set the clock or date without it, windows would not start. with the software your suggesting can I remove the password? so do not ever have to through this again at least any soon?turner brown suggested the bios update through dell but Im not sure that will resolve my issue?so Im looking for what your suggesting "above" but Im not seeing it . dont mean to be "slow"

can I assume that the bios are the PHOENIX BIOS? and just to be safe and not tobe a pest but would I do the following

debug PRESS ENTER
o 70 2E PRESS ENTER
o 71 FF PRESS ENTER
quit PRESS ENTER

PHOENIX BIOS
O 70 FF
O 71 17
Q

so I went through and tried it and it says debug is not internal or external command? this is win7 not sure if that makes a difference?

Back