Dell GX760 Low Profile hdmi GFX Card - please help + recommend? unsure what will fit

Midnight Tboy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Yellos....

I've just been scratching my head for the past couple of hours...and thought I best post for advice from you guys.

I have here a spare PC, a Dell GX760, that I was planning to use as a HTPC by trying to find a suitable graphics card with hdmi out that passes sound through also.....so I can finally phase out the old Xbox and XBMC :) Not bothered about gaming on it just good quality HD.

My Dell is the 2nd smallest one, as per this picture, 2nd from the right

Find a Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Server, Printer, Software, Service, Monitor or TV at Dell.

I've been paying little attention to the hardware scene when it comes to gfx cards etc of late and my first time looking at low profile cards. Last time I bought a gfx card seperately it was AGP 4x :)

My motherboard is like this. http://www.redplanettrading.com/ebay/motherboards/f373d/f373d_top_800.jpg

As you can see, there is only 1 pci port and 1 pci-express port. It does say its x16 but I'm not sure if its 1.0 or 2.0? (presuming theres a difference I think it is likely 1.0.

The trouble I'm having finding the graphics card that is suitable.

I was looking at this card Asus Radeon HD 3450 256MB PCI-E 2.0 Low Profile With Bracket - Aria Technology

That card seemed like it may have been ideal, but theres 2 main issues.

1) Presumably if my mobo is indeed a 1.0 pci express then that being a 2.0 card will refuse to work? Or would it work but maybe at some reduced performance?

2) The main issue being the room in this machine. The comments I see seem to imply that it takes 2 slots up with it being low profile. I'm trying to work out if thats because the heatsink bulges out, into the gap in front, or if its because when using the low profile it has an optional second bank for the vga port only (which I wouldnt need)?

The reason #2 is such an issue, is that the way the case is designed, the sata HD sits directly to the right of the pci-e port....so that I would expect should a heatsink stick out it just will not fit in.

Can anyone help me please, or recomment a gfx card that WILL fit in and be compatable if this one is not?

I'll try to take a photo later of my mobo with the HD in so you can see how much room I'm talking about...but basically the HD starts where the next port 'would' have been

cheers

Re: Dell GX760 Low Profile hdmi GFX Card - please help + recommend? unsure what will

...Presumably if my mobo is indeed a 1.0 pci express then that being a 2.0 card will refuse to work? Or would it work but maybe at some reduced performance?...
According to wikipedia a 2.0 PCI-e card should work in a PCI-e 1.x slot, and would only become an issue if wanting SLI/Crossfire. However, the distance sale of goods act would allow you to return the card within 7 days of receipt. As such avoid Aria, their returns reputation is not the best. As such overclockers have the same card for a few pence more and ebuyer have an nvidia 9400GT with HDMI out for just over £30.

... or if its because when using the low profile it has an optional second bank for the vga port only (which I wouldnt need)?
Having a low profile X1650XT Pro I can confirm this is the more likely scenario.

Last edited:
Re: Dell GX760 Low Profile hdmi GFX Card - please help + recommend? unsure what will

hi there....thanks.....so at least I know I'm safe regarding the 2.0 that most cards seem to refer to.

I'm just in the process of uploading pics now to show how much room available.

As you'll see, by the pci-e port it says x16 (16.1)

Do you think any of these pci cards will work or have I got a cat in hells chance?

Would like any model of card really, so long as a) supports hdmi carrying audio through and b) it fits in the ruddy thing :)

Pics will be up any mo

right - heres the pics

mobo1.jpg

mobo2.jpg

why oh why couldnt they have just put the bloody pci-e slot where the pci one is!!

SAPPHIRE HD 3450 256MB DDR2 PCI-E Low Profile PCB with VGA Cable

that looks like it might possibly be ok? costs a few quid more tho but perhaps worth it compared to this? [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-EAH3450-DI-Graphics-Interface/dp/B001BBP0CK/ref=pd_cp_ce_1?pf_rd_p=136153791&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001DRJ9RO&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=183BB6291M3AK3VS31MX]ASUS EAH3450/DI - Graphics adapter - Radeon HD 3450: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

I do prefer the idea of the amazon one with it being directly hdmi, but it appears the sapphire card comes with dvi-hdmi adapter out of the box? I presume/hope it would also pass audio? Also as I can see from the picture I see it definately does not have too large a heatsink.....plus I could potentially also just twist the vga behind itself to where that other pci slot is without problem, whereas the asus card I cannot see any confirmation of what is on the other optional port

Are there any downsides to taking the hdmi from dvi route instead of direct from hdmi port like washed colors etc. With it being digital I suspect it'll be exactly the same...so long as it can do the audio, transmit hdcp and all that other nonsense :)

Any low profile PCI-E GFX card "should" be fine, it'll just make the PCI slot redundant, due to size of the heatsink they put on the GFX cards... Certainly the case on my mobo, and others I have worked on...

Low Profile/Half Height is what you need to concentrate on, because it looks like a standard height bracket won't fit in that case...

That looks like a single slot cooler, so you'll be fine.

However, as it's passively cooled, with it being next to the HDD you've two of the largest heat producing components next to each other you might want to upgrading the case fans to some higher flow ones and/or concider a card with a fan cooled heatsink.

costs a few quid more tho but perhaps worth it compared to this? ASUS EAH3450/DI - Graphics adapter - Radeon HD 3450: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I do prefer the idea of the amazon one with it being directly hdmi, but it appears the sapphire card comes with dvi-hdmi adapter out of the box? I presume/hope it would also pass audio?
Audio is passed through the DVI to HDMI adapter or the HDMI out either via a SPDIF connector on the graphics card or a setting on the card software (the OEM software rather than the ATI/Nvidia software).

Also as I can see from the picture I see it definately does not have too large a heatsink.....plus I could potentially also just twist the vga behind itself to where that other pci slot is without problem, whereas the asus card I cannot see any confirmation of what is on the other optional port

Are there any downsides to taking the hdmi from dvi route instead of direct from hdmi port like washed colors etc. With it being digital I suspect it'll be exactly the same...so long as it can do the audio, transmit hdcp and all that other nonsense :)

HDMI is 'electrically compatible' with DVI, which means whilst it requires an adapter no further processing of the signal is required.

cheers fellas.

After much reading last night, I think I'm going to toy with the idea of ditching the pc, maybe selling it on for cheap even tho its brand new, and just getting a popcorn player or the likes :) Seems lots of potential faffing on for HTPC. Shame tho as pc is decent spec - just no use for me as I need loads of storage space in my main pc for all these dodgy downloads :)

can't you just use the onboard vga/dvi and a 3.5 mm jack lead for the sound. Hdmi audio is completely unnecessary if its only getting passed into a tiny set of speakers in a LCD TV.

cheers fellas.

After much reading last night, I think I'm going to toy with the idea of ditching the pc, maybe selling it on for cheap even tho its brand new, and just getting a popcorn player or the likes :) Seems lots of potential faffing on for HTPC. Shame tho as pc is decent spec - just no use for me as I need loads of storage space in my main pc for all these dodgy downloads :)
I got my popcorn hour from AdvanceMP3player as they do cashback via Quidco. Apparently you should be able to pick one up from an AV enthusiast forum for about ~£120.

If you are just going to stream from the download PC (rather than wanting to throw a hard drive in) take a look at the Western Digital TV HD: [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-1080P-Media-Player/dp/B001ILFDCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1239960127&sr=8-1]Western Digital TV HD 1080P Media Player: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

can't you just use the onboard vga/dvi and a 3.5 mm jack lead for the sound. Hdmi audio is completely unnecessary if its only getting passed into a tiny set of speakers in a LCD TV.

Not all onboard DVI can do the HDCP handshake (then again not all DVI graphics cards can either) and onboard graphics steals some of the system memory, other than that you are right.

The onboard graphics should be able to process 720/1080p resolutions and refresh rates and provided you've a decent CPU, then DVD and blu-ray playback should be stutter free.

Last edited:

If the card is to thick to fit because the HDD is in the way put it under the dvd drive by pulling the little spring lever back and sliding the drive out. There will be a little placeholder bracket to remove the same way, under that will be a free spot to place your HDD there if you have only one. I have worked on many GX760's on the network I work on (200+) over 25 are desktops.

Back