Dbox and Lcd picture quality

toplad34

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello Peeps,

Was wondering how others find the image quality on lcd tv's compared to crt ones? Just got a Toshiba 37" lcd and find the picture to be quite grainy. I know crt are always slightly better quality but was hoping to achieve something better than i have at moment. Looked on av forums and cant find much info regarding tv settings. Im using Donv4 and may try a newer image this week just to see if that helps!

Hello Peeps,

Was wondering how others find the image quality on lcd tv's compared to crt ones? Just got a Toshiba 37" lcd and find the picture to be quite grainy. I know crt are always slightly better quality but was hoping to achieve something better than i have at moment. Looked on av forums and cant find much info regarding tv settings. Im using Donv4 and may try a newer image this week just to see if that helps!

lcd tv sets cannot show standard definition pictures as well as a crt because the amount of pixels shows up the flaws and add to that they are much bigger sizes.first of all get a good scart lead,at least a 20 quid one.that will help dramatically and then mess about with the settings,im quite happy with my 40 inch samsung,which is connected to a dreambox using a very good scart,if you dont have a good scart you have no foundations,to mess about wth the settings.

I felt the picture was terrible on my dbox2 so tried the don v4 but kept getting loads of freezing. So I tried Andromeda 2.0 and felt that helped with the picture, I also fiddled with the settings on the tv as the default ones were not that good

I have mine connected to a Samsung 37" LCD and consider the image to be excellent ( most definetly better than either the sub Pace box or Freeview).

I currently use SS Enigma or latest Sportser images, good quality Scart leads , RGB & CVBS display settingss, but also agree that you have to fiddle around with the TV settings to get the best picture.

Luckily there is a very good thread for the Samsung 37" LCD in the AV forums with recommend settings for all the various inputs as a good starting point !!

Sportster 1.10

High I use the sportster images as they seem to work a lot better than most images ,,well they do trouble free,think the difference is that the sportster images a squass images and the others are jeffs ,,which have been modded great but I think to much and take up more of the memory to work right,,although they can be verygood if you can put up with the frezing issuse every now and again,

This should be better as the dBo2 is capable of high-quality YUV-output.
YUV is delivered on the RGB pins on the SCART: Y on the Green pin (pin11), U ( Cb) on the Blue pin (pin 7), and V (Cr) on the Red pin (pin 15).
I presume the cable Pt-1 describes utilities this output and if your TV supports YUV input then this should give an improved picture.

Thanks guys for your input. I should have said that i own a Gold Plated Monster Scart Lead which cost me around £70 and i have been on av forums looking for the best settings so ive a little knowledge on black levels, backlighting etc! Think i might give the component cable a go as i get a fantastic picture from the xbox 360 so i know its not a tv problem. Think ill swap to hdmi for xbox and try the yuy cable for the dbox although this would render my expensive scart useless then! Maybe its me just being too damn fussy as my wife says :) Will try the Andromeda image and report back this week...

Also try turning off any digital enhancements to the Picture as this makes it worse

Back