(DARTS) Taylor and Barneveld reach semis

TheDogsNutts

Member +
Reaction score
Taylor and Barneveld reach semis

Taylor is seeded second at Purfleet
Phil Taylor and Raymond van Barneveld moved to within one match each of an eagerly-anticipated showdown at the PDC World Championship in Purfleet.
The two best players on the planet breezed into the semi-finals, recording emphatic wins over qualifiers.

Taylor, the 13-time world champion, crushed Darren Webster 5-1 while Van Barneveld saw off Alan Tabern 5-0.

Taylor will play fellow Stoke player Andy Hamilton in the last four while Van Barneveld takes on Andy Jenkins.

Taylor dropped just four legs and ended with a three-figure three-dart average after his win over Norwich's Webster, ranked 47th in the world.

For Webster, there was the consolation of hitting a 164 checkout - the highest of the tournament so far - as he enjoyed his moment in the spotlight by claiming the fifth set.

"Darren was gutsy and never gave in," said Taylor. "I think his 164 was one of the best shots anyone has ever done against me in my career, because he was under a lot of pressure."

My finishing has been really good this week

Raymond van Barneveld

Van Barneveld was given an even easier ride by Tabern, who appeared overwhelmed by the occasion and missed many doubles as he failed to take a set off the four-time Lakeside world champion.

"It wasn't easy, and I think I got lucky that Alan missed some doubles and let me in," said the Dutchman.

"I expected a closer match, but when Alan shook my hand at the end he admitted he hadn't played all that well. But I had a rhythm, and my finishing has been really good this week."

Jenkins came through a final-set thriller to reach the semi-finals of a world championship for the first time.

The 35-year-old from Hampshire won 5-4 against qualifier Colin Osborne with a performance which was almost a carbon copy of his victory over Adrian Lewis in the third round.

"I've had a lucky week," said the world number 12. "I've hit a few doubles and stolen a couple of matches. I'm so proud."

A second Jenkins, world number six Terry, just missed out on the last four as he went down 5-4 to Hamilton.

It was another humdinger, with a deciding ninth set again required following a terrific comeback from Jenkins after the Herefordshire player had lost the first three.

what else can you expect from a stoke lad putting us on the map as excellence

he is defo the best around and will prob white wash Barneveld, like he has done before, watched him tonight, he is pure class............

Back