iPhone Cydia rival ICY released

ms2005

Inactive User
Reaction score
Jay Freeman aka Saurik Cleared things up in one of the comments and I agree, I have tested this and it actually is a living hell for the user also jay thanks for the heads up about it ignoring conflicts.. Something bad coulda happened. Below is what Saurik had to say about it and I have also found and had these exact same problems people are posting.

“One thing that should be noted: they decided to reimplement APT, and they didn’t reimplement it well. They only support package dependencies, for example: they ignore any information on conflicts. The sad part of this whole thing is that Icy, like Installer, is something that users occasionally find interesting for some reason or another, but which makes the lives of the people running the repositories where you get your software, and the developers they work with, a living hell.”

PROS:

Simple interface
Installing process looks VERY cool.
Automatically imports all sources/settings from cydia.
Shows version number in package list.
CONS:

Must refresh sources manually.
No way to hide command line sources (Makes going through installed packages section very difficult)
Search function does not work after installing packages.
Kinda hard to read.
Slow launch times.
No way to queue packages like in cydia.
Updating sources is INCREDIBLY slow.
Crashes, and reboots (not resprings) your phone.
While uninstalling, it tells you that it’s removing essential system components.
If you have the ripdev source added to cydia, Icy always shows up as an available upgrade, even if it’s not installed.
In the end stick with cydia because it is a lot safer and you get the cydia store and look above, who wants an app that has more cons the pros…. I know I don’t.

Only a few hours ago we were wondering what was the app in the mysterious video on youtube. Now we have an answer from RipDev, the developers who created Installer app, through their blog: “Icy is our take on the freeware package manager that uses APT repositories to install and remove packages available in another free iPhone installer application, Cydia. The goal was to create a fast, lightweight and more slick solution that is easy and cool to use.”

Icy works in landscape, following the trend enstablished by 3.0 upcoming iPhone firmware, and it is extremely reactive, even at the first startup, when it imports all your Cydia sources and installed packages. Sources autorefresh is now manual.

img_003510-160x240.png

Icy works well (remember, it uses only Cydia compatible sources), but it misses a “Changes” tab: RipDev is planning to introduce it in the next 1.1 update, along a with dependency graph for the packages and other things.

img_002415-240x160.png

img_00455-160x240.png

The app will be available on iSpazio’s repository, at the moment you could find it adding to Cydia RipDev’s repo: apt.ripdev.com

Hmm,
quite interesting.
but i want to ask. there is icy can use cydia repo?

Back