Cycling the Trans Pennine Trail

redwolf

Inactive User
Reaction score
Has anyone on here completed this, or does anyone know anyone who has done it?

I am looking for some tips as I'm doing it in August with a few mates for a charity called Stick 'n' Step. The only funding that they receive is from the parents of the children that they help so we try to do something every year for them as they help kids with Cerebral Palsy and have helped my mates daughter tremendoulsy with her disability.

As a group of mates we've done Scafell Pike in jeans/trainers (and 20 Regal), Kayaked the caledonian canal, circumnavigated anglesey in dinghies, and last year travelled from Warrington to Budapest none-stop on motorbikes in 24 hours (which we did with 9 minutes to spare).

none of us can be classed as a 'Wiggo' and we will definitely struggle doing 60 - 70 miles a day on this one so I may be back requesting donations to my JustGiving page if I get permission to post it. ;)

Thanks for any advice (not including the cries of "don't do it) :)

Rob

Can I suggest you start training lol

Having done numerous long-distance rides but off-road, such as Coast to Coast and C2C, preparation is everything!

Get your regular weekly mileage up to around 120-150 so your legs and ar*e will cope. Collect everything you will take and then throw most of it back - bung some non-smelly stuff like a T and undies in a bag for the last day and stink for the others - travel light lol

Take stuff every day for hydration and energy. I did water and bananas plus Mars bars but whatever suits...

Regular breaks during each day but not too long or you'll stiffen up - 15-20 minutes - try to hit a regular 'cadence' wherever possible rather than knackering yourself on a big climb.

Good luck :)

Can I suggest you start training lol

Having done numerous long-distance rides but off-road, such as Coast to Coast and C2C, preparation is everything!

Get your regular weekly mileage up to around 120-150 so your legs and ar*e will cope. Collect everything you will take and then throw most of it back - bung some non-smelly stuff like a T and undies in a bag for the last day and stink for the others - travel light lol

Take stuff every day for hydration and energy. I did water and bananas plus Mars bars but whatever suits...

Regular breaks during each day but not too long or you'll stiffen up - 15-20 minutes - try to hit a regular 'cadence' wherever possible rather than knackering yourself on a big climb.

Good luck :)

Oops - not sure how that happened, Mods please delete obvious double-post, thanks!

Firstly - I want to thank the mods for allowing this - It really does mean a lot to us.
and
Secondly - I don't usually like asking anybody for money (especially people whom I have never met) unless it's for a VERY good cause.. and this one is.

Here are the details of the charity that we are supporting - Welcome
and here is our JustGiving page Rob Shaw is fundraising for Stick 'n' Step

I know that lots of folks are hard pushed to find spare cash in the current climate, but please try to help as best as you can, Stick n Step have achieved miracles for Robyn and numerous other children without any funding and in trying to raise their profile via comic relief they have been swamped by more families than ever needing their help.

You can also donate through the JustGiving text service by texting TPTC95 followed by either £1 £2 £5 or even £10 to 70070

To steal a phrase known by all... Every little helps.

(Anyone wishing to donate leg massages and are available around September will be welcome also) :)

Thank-you all SO much... Rob

We did a 30 miler warm up along the trail today...From Warrington to Altrincham and back. Not too bad for the 1st session :)

Not sure I could do the same tomorrow though, so I'm glad we're not doing the full ride til August :)

I can't find you on JustGiving? And I WILL donate just so you get your arse into gear lol ;)

I reckon a mixture of Assos cream and Him Hers' boot up my arse will probably see me through :)

Quick update..

We're all set for the 8th of August.. Campsites all booked (including our first night in Stockport WwTW thanks to my employers) :)

I reckon we've got everything we need now to be able to do it (and probably more)

We've had a couple of setbacks along the way though ranging from frozen shoulders to falls so by the end of the trip we will have earned every penny that's been donated.

And I promise to add photos to prove that we completed it (even if they're in the dark) :)

Thanks for your kind support..
Rob, Lee, Stevo and Si

Well, it's less than 8 weeks to go until we do the 215 odd miles of the Trans Pennine Trail... All the way from Southport on the West coast to Hull/Hornsea on the East coast

I would be so grateful if the kind-hearted folk on here could pay a visit to my JustGiving page (Rob/Lee/Si & Stevo . is fundraising for Stick 'n' Step) and make even the smallest donation.

We're trying to raise money for children suffering from cerebral palsy - (something which affects my mates (Lee) daughter (Robyn)) - through the North West based Stick N Step charity http://www.sticknstep.org/index.php?...id=2&Itemid=42 which has helped Robyn a lot.

We've managed to raise just over £600 so far with the help of some generous people on here which is fantastic, and that is going to be such a great help to the charity, but with less than 2 months to go I'm giving this thread a bump to appeal to as many folk as I possibly can to try and help us out.

I know times are hard, but even the smallest amount can make the biggest difference - if you could see the work that this charity has done with children over the years your heart would melt.. and to be honest, if you saw us, you'd pay £1 just to see us on a bike! :Ha:

Thanks so much for taking the time to read... and thanks for helping out if you can.

Rob

WOW!

Hottest weekend of the year and we had the great idea of doing Stockport to Barnsley for a practice run! Stopping overnight at a campsite and heading back on the Sunday... NOT a great weekend for it in truth.

I took as much gear as I could possibly need for the trip (thinking that I would at least know what I wouldn't need by the end of the weekend and leave half of it at home when we do it for real next month).

We set off from Cheadle at about 9am and after getting lost around Brinnington (after about 10 mins) and Barnsley, plus some quite severe off-roading through woodland in Birdwell which sheared one of my bike rack bolts and stripped the thread from the frame of the bike (too much unneccessary stuff in there), we finally made it to the campsite some 12 hours later!

I had a little trouble with dehydration right before the downhill run into Dunford Bridge which was worrying for my brother in law but after a break in the shade behind a dry stone wall and the 38mph downhill I managed to cool down only to hear about the poor SAS guys the next day and realise how lucky we had been.

Legs were fine, and I reckon we could probably have done more than we did if we were carrying on, but needless to say we called off the return trip halfway back up the pennines due to the heat (twice over them in two days was just too much for us) and I have now disgarded over half of my gear that I had in my panniers...as Him Her said would happen - Tent/Sleeping Bag/Roll Mat/change of clothes and Stove.. Tescos along the way to stock up near to the stop-offs I think is the way forward.

And we're praying for a 'bit' of rain on the second day :)

It's the big day tomorrow, and I'd like to thank everyone who has donated. We've managed to raise £965 so far so we're absolutely overwhelmed.. Thank you ALL so much!

Well...The bike is all repaired and ready for round 2 (for real this time) I'm nervous, excited and terrified all at the same time... I'm beginning to wish that we hadn't had that trial run out from Stockport to Barnsley though as I now know what to expect although it should mean that we won't get lost around Brinnington and Barnsley for 2 hours this time around. :)

It's the big day tomorrow, and I'd like to thank everyone who has donated. We've managed to raise £965 so far so we're absolutely overwhelmed.. Thank you ALL so much!

Well...The bike is all repaired and ready for round 2 (for real this time) I'm nervous, excited and terrified all at the same time... I'm beginning to wish that we hadn't had that trial run out from Stockport to Barnsley though as I now know what to expect although it should mean that we won't get lost around Brinnington and Barnsley for 2 hours this time around. :)

I'll keep an eye out after Selby :)

I will do :)

You will know me easily - I'll be strapped to a black and white Specialized breathing out of my arse.

Back