Crossover Settings help please....

BanjoXo71

DW Member +
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have just purchased an Onkyo TX-RZ800 Receiver and my speaker setup is as follows:

Yamaha YST320 Active Sub 40-140Hz

Kef Q35 Frequency response: 45Hz to 20kHz +/-3.0dB (-6dB at 42Hz)
Kef Q95C Frequency response: 85Hz to 20kHz +/-3.0dB (-6dB at 80Hz)
Kef Q15C Frequency response: 50Hz to 20kHz +/-3.0dB (-6dB at 47Hz)

I simply cannot figure this out and i will appreciate any good advise on the correct settings.

Kind Regards.

have you not run the auto eq? The usual cut off point is 80hz (THX), if your speakers can take it then lower. but as you have 1 speaker that is 80hz, it is better to set them all to 80 or 100hz. your sub should be set to the same cut off point so it takes over from the speakers at the bass cut off point from the speakers. You will need to set your speakers to small in your amp (even though they may not be small), this is so it can apply bass management between the speakers and sub.

OR the easier option is to run the auto eq on your amp and let the amp sort it out.

have you not run the auto eq? The usual cut off point is 80hz (THX), if your speakers can take it then lower. but as you have 1 speaker that is 80hz, it is better to set them all to 80 or 100hz. your sub should be set to the same cut off point so it takes over from the speakers at the bass cut off point from the speakers. You will need to set your speakers to small in your amp (even though they may not be small), this is so it can apply bass management between the speakers and sub.

OR the easier option is to run the auto eq on your amp and let the amp sort it out.

Cheers for the reply. I did use the auto setup at first but wasnt sure how accurate they are. Before i changed the settings manually i did see that it did set a couple of speakers at 60hz, so from within the amp settings have set all to 80Hz including sub. From the main sub itself its 40-140Hz so do i set that to 80Hz also?

I cant see in the settings about changing speaker size. When i go to speaker configuration i can only choose how many speakers i have setup, my case 5.1. Im not sure that during the auto setup i might have seen the offer for large or small so i cant be sure.
Regards.

With regards to the sub if it is being managed by the amp, it should be managing the bass correctly. However on most subs there is usually a switch to either use the subs eq or the amps. You need to set this to use the amps. It's quite easy to tell this put some music on and adjust the filter on the sub from high to low, and if you hear a change in the sound of the bass from the sub as you are changing the frequency, then the amp is not managing the Bass. If that's a case there should be a switch on the sub to let the amp mange the bass. Failing that you could set the sub manually to 80hz

- - - Updated - - -

....About the speaker size these days all modern amps have these, it's probably buried in the settings somewhere. You might need to consult the manual.

Another piece of advice with regards to better integration and auto eq.....do this when it is quiet and no environmental noise inside the house at it will give incorrect readings. Depending on how good your room eq is you might need to adjust some of the settings like volume output on each speaker/sub. On my setup I only had to adjust the bass slightly and speaker size.

With regards to the sub if it is being managed by the amp, it should be managing the bass correctly. However on most subs there is usually a switch to either use the subs eq or the amps. You need to set this to use the amps. It's quite easy to tell this put some music on and adjust the filter on the sub from high to low, and if you hear a change in the sound of the bass from the sub as you are changing the frequency, then the amp is not managing the Bass. If that's a case there should be a switch on the sub to let the amp mange the bass. Failing that you could set the sub manually to 80hz

- - - Updated - - -

....About the speaker size these days all modern amps have these, it's probably buried in the settings somewhere. You might need to consult the manual.

Well i ran the auto setup again, this time it put my Q15 and Q35's at 70Hz and my center at 80Hz it also set my sub to 120Hz does this seem right? btw there is no setting allowing me to change from large to small speakers, i have looked in every setting.

The switches on my sub are movie/music - Phase (Rev or Norm - Auto standby Off/Low/High - 2 Phono outputs L+R (L) being Mono, (this is connected to my amp) - Speaker Connections.

Regards.

Last edited:
Try setting your sub to 80hz and speakers to 80hz on the amp. If you have frequency control on your sub set it to 80hz this shpuld ensure if your sub is managing it's own bass then it's at the right frequency. if you can post a picture of the back of the sub it might help. With regards to the speaker size setting I can't comment on your amp as I don't know it.

Ok had a look at the manual and can see how they have done it. You don't need to set it to small. As long as lpf lfe is set to 80 in advanced section and the other spekers are 80 as well then should be ok.

Ok had a look at the manual and can see how they have done it. You don't need to set it to small. As long as lpf lfe is set to 80 in advanced section and the other spekers are 80 as well then should be ok.

Ok bud, im gonna try those settings for a couple of days using different sources and report back, big thanks for all your help :)

Ok bud, im gonna try those settings for a couple of days using different sources and report back, big thanks for all your help :)
Good luck as it took me forever to tweak mine especially the sub integration for that big slam factor without sounding bloated and not being able to locate it.

How do u have your sub positioned?

Sent From JtagPabb1e Xperia Z 6603 (Rooted)

Ideally the sub should be in between the 2 front speakers For better integration. But mine is on the side and I can't be bothered to go through the setup process again lol.

Ideally the sub should be in between the 2 front speakers For better integration. But mine is on the side and I can't be bothered to go through the setup process again lol.

Lol that's were mine is but i cant put it between the floor-standers as there is a dam door in the way :(

Back