Crackdown On Pirate Dvds

Zooropa

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Trade in pirate DVDs and videos is growing at an alarming rate - and the UK is one of the worst offenders in Western Europe.
1235147.jpg

In 2001, the number of illegal video products seized was 314,000, says the UK Film Council.

Just a year later this had almost doubled to 607,000 items, and by last year the figure grown to almost two million films. It is expected to soar again this year.

The lucrative piracy market is currently estimated to be worth £500m, but experts say this figure could grow to £1bn within three years.

Movie bosses are now being urged to follow the example of the music industry by making more films available to legally download on the internet.

UK Film Council Chief Executive Officer John Woodward said film piracy is "the single largest threat facing the UK film industry today".

He added: "Film pirates are not harmless Del Boy characters, they are professional criminals with links to organised crime and drugs."

The Film Council's report calls on the Government to introduce tough counter-measures to stop the pirates.

Suggestions include powers to close down markets selling pirate DVDs; making camcording films in a cinema illegal; and setting exemplary damages for those guilty of pirating films.

i thought it was illegal to do all them things

bloody hell if i would have known i would have had some stalls by now lol

Does this mean that people can actually copy DVD & CD's etc ?

This is complete bullshit. Their just scare mongering. Its countries like Holland & Belgium which have the worst record for piracy and that's because their broadband is way ahead of ours. Those guys run the warez scene

Will we still be able to watch my favourite pirates films like Captain Pugwash, Sinbad, Hook and Pirates of the Carribean

Back