CPU pins - any advice?

chris_uk

Inactive User
Reaction score
This one aimed at Tangoman really as he seems to be an electronics/soldering whizz, but anyone else feel free to add anything :)

Have some CPU's here which have some broken pins (I still have the pins) My question is they seem to join to solder on the base of the CPU but only a very small bit of solder. Can they be soldered back on and the CPU still work? I know its a strange question but the CPU's in question are P4 2.4 Ghz and sell for around £100 each on ebay so im hoping and praying someone has some info about this ;)

Chris.

Yes, but you will need a VERY fine point on the tip of the soldering iron.

It will be a pain in the a$$ to do though!

yes thats what I was thinking m8 the solder looks really small :/

it will take some doing but like Mairyhinge says yep it can be done :)

how many u got ? and how many pins are broke ?

have done it before but not with a p4 the pins r real close together so u better b shit hot at soldering

best of luck

jon doe, i actually am 'shit hot' at soldering, well, as long as you take away the 'hot' part of that, basically im what's left over :)

I dont have an air iron only a crappy phillips m8, the missus keeps moaning at me to buy a new one but theyre pricey these days :/

Theres 3 CPU's each have a few broken pins, I think it will be easier to sell them on ebay as faulty I didnt pay anything for them so im not losing much......

It shouldn't matter how good the iron is, it depends on how you go about it:).

I haven't seen a detatched processor pin up-close before but I imagine it would be the easiest way to tin the end of the pin to be joined first and while keeping it at temperature move it into place on the chip package. Another method would be to use solder cream which could be put in place before any heating takes place, a fine grade 2% Silver loaded cream would produce a better bond.

I would not try it with a hot air pencil, they are generally used for surface mount package removal and stencilled rework. It would probably cause too much local heating and you would end up with a miniature model of Tungusca :).

Give it a go with your iron, tin the end of the pin if you need to, dangle it from the iron tip and guide it into place with fine tweezers.

Back