Computer Just Shutting down

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Afternoon,

mates PC (that i built!) is now just shutting down and with him being a million miles away it's hard for me to diagnose what the problem is.

I gave him another CPU cooler and he's had that on for a while but still the same, just shuts down in the middle of doing something.

I was thinking the GPU over heating?

it was a x 4 core and was a brand new build..... it doens't BSOD so can't even use "whocrashed"

here's an "Aida" log.

Version AIDA64 v1.50.1200
Benchmark Module 2.7.333-x32
Report Type Report Wizard
Computer user
Generator admin
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP RTM)
Date 2012-05-31
Time 21:08

--------[ Sensor ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type ITE IT8720F (ISA 228h)
GPU Sensor Type Diode (ATI-Diode)
Motherboard Name Gigabyte MA770 / MA790FX / MA790GP / MA790X Series
Chassis Intrusion Detected No

Temperatures:

Motherboard 40 °C (104 °F)
CPU 34 °C (93 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #1 19 °C (66 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 19 °C (66 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #3 19 °C (66 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #4 19 °C (66 °F)

GPU Diode (DispIO) 52 °C (126 °F)
GPU Diode (MemIO) 53 °C (127 °F)
GPU Diode (Shader) 56 °C (133 °F) ??

Maxtor 6E030L0 40 °C (104 °F)
Seagate ST3250310NS 39 °C (102 °F)
Seagate ST3250310NS 37 °C (99 °F)
Seagate ST3250310NS 39 °C (102 °F)
Seagate ST380013AS 42 °C (108 °F)

Cooling Fans:

CPU 1596 RPM
Chassis #2 1114 RPM
GPU 41%

Voltage Values:

CPU Core 1.360 V
+3.3 V 3.312 V
+12 V 12.652 V
VBAT Battery 3.104 V
DIMM 1.520 V

Debug Info F 01A7 FFFF 025E 0000 FFFF
Debug Info T 40 34 80
Debug Info V 55 5F CF BF BF 57 CF 86 C2

i would try a different power supply..

one of the first things i check if i start getting problems......

your cpu temps look very cool to me so i dont think it could be that.....

Brand new build?

As above, first to check would be PSU, although could be one of the windows updates causing it or one of the AMD tools/drivers (eco stuff)

Get him to install logmein so you can have a look around.

it was a brand new build, all parts spanking new (all though that sometimes can never be taken into account as things can be damaged/broken from new)

I do have one of them power pack testers that I could send him and ask him to check I guess as that's got all the voltages and the like on it?

what wattage of psu the testers dont really load the rails just check for constant power on the rails
will the computer shut down when not in use or does then only shut down under load
check the wattage of the psu as most 500 watt psu only run about 20 amp if lucky on the 12v rail

Nightmare :(.

Tell him to try a live Linux, see if he can get it to reset.

As it is an abrupt shutdown I'd tend towards hardware.

Brand new build?

As above, first to check would be PSU, although could be one of the windows updates causing it or one of the AMD tools/drivers (eco stuff)

Get him to install logmein so you can have a look around.

yeah was a brand new build, we could not (at the time find any RAID drivers so we just stuck a version of XP on it and then that's been on ever since)

Thanks all. I'll send him the "power pack" tester and get him to make sure that it's all working, it was a 500w decent power pack as well, but hey, things can be broke from new.

Nightmare :(.

Tell him to try a live Linux, see if he can get it to reset.

As it is an abrupt shutdown I'd tend towards hardware.

ah yeah, i have a linux boot CD Hierens CD, I can get him to boot into that and see if it does the same.....

yeah it just "freezes" and then shuts off, no BSOD or any thing...... mare not being able to get near the machine.

I built it for him, all new parts from Computer Orbit about a year or 2 ago now......

Thanks chaps.

right just a thought, he actualy has a new power pack in that rig as it was replaced around about a year ago, so this would be the 2nd power pack that the machine has had....

Spoke to him yesterday and he said that it just shuts down, speakers make an aweful noise and then it restarts, there are no "seriuos errors" when it restsrats and there are no BSOD.......

you could try this

XP is set to reboot on errors, shut this off and see if you can find out what is doing it.

Right click MyComputer -> Properties -> Advanced -> startup and Recovery -> Settings -> Find where it says "Automatically Restart" and uncheck it and select OK.

Now when it crashes, it will give you the blue screen with errors to search for.

you could try this

XP is set to reboot on errors, shut this off and see if you can find out what is doing it.

Right click MyComputer -> Properties -> Advanced -> startup and Recovery -> Settings -> Find where it says "Automatically Restart" and uncheck it and select OK.

Now when it crashes, it will give you the blue screen with errors to search for.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, we've tried the above and it just won't output a crashlog for "who crashed" all though I have a feeling that there's something else wrong as his C drive did report back as the D drive (see other thread) now he changed it back, I think it's going to need a format. (he changed it in computer management.)

Just a shame that it's still shutting down, nothing else other than a crash and a restart.

Crash dump directory: D:\WINDOWS.0\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

This is mine and the dumps are going in the right place. (his is looking for something on the old D drive)

format?

18-09-201211-48-40.jpg

Last edited:
Just a thought did it do any microsoft updates before the problem started?

If it did try rolling back the graphic's driver.

In the past I have found microsoft updated drivers sometimes just don't work or work badly (Its not many times on a whole they are pretty good)

Back