Computer Help

Pranav

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

I need your views and help.
I am wanting to build my own PC and I am not too sure on the components that are needed etc. I am not a gamer so I dont want the so claled gamers PC but one which will stream videos on net extremely QUICK as well as play music, viedes allow me to upload download at great speeds and also generally a really fast performing PC. I want the PC to have extremely good graphics card so when i view videos online they are extremely superb quality and clarity. I currently have only 1 part which i have bought so far which is an AKASA Intel 3PU Hheatsink....but i am not too sure on the motherboard and processor? as all the components I will buy they have to be compatible with the motherboard right?...Please tell me which components are dependedent on which as this will help me when purchasing?.

I was thinking of buying a top of the range Intel Quad Core Processor as that allows multiple programs to run simultanelsuly.

Also what is a chipset? isnt this the same as the processor? and if not what is a good one to get?...(please advise on what you judge as being good)....If you can help me I would really appreciate it as my current PC is extremely OLD and needs a change.

Would appreciate your help on this.

thanks

well, having a powerful computer wont really help you out if you want to watch streamed video over the internet/a network. For that to be flawless, you would just need a very good connection to the Internet.

The heatsink is for an Intel chip, so if it is very important to you then yes you will only be able to use an Intel CPU. Whilst the processor you mention is very fast, there are AMD one due soon that could be as fast, if not faster - in fact I think its the start of next year that sees them shipping tri-core processors (cheaper than quad core, faster than dual core) so you may wish to hang fire a bit.

If you will be working with video on your pc directly, then you may need a good helping of ram and a fairly good video card. However from your post it looks like you want to stream video off the internet.

One thing to note, having a powerful pc wont let you downlod stuff from the internet any faster than a regular pc - this depends on the speed of your connection,

thanks for the reply...yes i understand that the connection has to be good. I have alreayd bought my HEatsink and it is a AKASA high performance lo noise cooler for INTEL LGA 775 (3ushaped one) i wanrted to know when you say this heatsink is used for intel chip do you mean the Intel processor chip?...I dont really want an AMD one i would prefer the Intel Quad Core or Dual Core but can you tell me how i would go about buying all ocmponents i would need as they have to be compatible with a motherbaord right?....In terms of CASE i dont want to splash out lots at all so what would you recommend? and how do i know if the motherbaord will fit in the CASE i buy?

Thanks

thanks for the reply...yes i understand that the connection has to be good. I have alreayd bought my HEatsink and it is a AKASA high performance lo noise cooler for INTEL LGA 775 (3ushaped one) i wanrted to know when you say this heatsink is used for intel chip do you mean the Intel processor chip?...I dont really want an AMD one i would prefer the Intel Quad Core or Dual Core but can you tell me how i would go about buying all ocmponents i would need as they have to be compatible with a motherbaord right?....In terms of CASE i dont want to splash out lots at all so what would you recommend? and how do i know if the motherbaord will fit in the CASE i buy?

Thanks

I'll draw up a component/price list but first you need to tell us your budget and or how much you are willing to spend?

Secondly which components are you looking to buy, upgrade current setup or a complete new build. Like CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Graphic Card (Onboard or Dedicated), HDD, ODD, PSU etc.

Thanks

Have you considered checking to see if there is a pc ready made for you that will suit your needs? I am a little worried about the fact you dont know where to buy thse components from at the moment, are you sure you know how to put them all together?

Also, where abouts are you in the world? There is little point in anyone here giving you prices if you are not in the UK at all...

On the question of the heat sink - you are quite specific on the name of the product in that it contains the word Intel, so I would assume it is designed for an intel cpu.

Have you considered checking to see if there is a pc ready made for you that will suit your needs? I am a little worried about the fact you dont know where to buy thse components from at the moment, are you sure you know how to put them all together?
Also, where abouts are you in the world? There is little point in anyone here giving you prices if you are not in the UK at all...
On the question of the heat sink - you are quite specific on the name of the product in that it contains the word Intel, so I would assume it is designed for an intel cpu.

Sorry, Yes i am in the UK i want to use that heatsink as i have bought that one now so could you tell me which motherboard etc i would need and how would i know if the motherboard will go with a case i decide to bring?

I'll draw up a component/price list but first you need to tell us your budget and or how much you are willing to spend?

Secondly which components are you looking to buy, upgrade current setup or a complete new build. Like CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Graphic Card (Onboard or Dedicated), HDD, ODD, PSU etc.

Hi mu budget cannot exceed 400-475 ish pound but my brother works at Intel so he can get a discount on the PROCESSORS or motherboardS?....could you please let me know which mothehrboard is good and the CASE ?....with regards to the processor the quad core is ok

Sorry i am new to building a PC so not sure about the HDD (HIGH DEFINITION DRIVE) or ODD (what is ODD?)..and PSU? etc please could you suggest it for me?

HDD, ODD and PSU are hard disc drive, Optical disc drive and Power supply unit. As you are unfamiliar these terms i am not sure that you should be building your own pc.

HDD, ODD and PSU are hard disc drive, Optical disc drive and Power supply unit. As you are unfamiliar these terms i am not sure that you should be building your own pc.

Hi, Yes I am researching i want to build my own PC and would appreciate your help in this. Instead of rathher than putting me down please :) hope you can help with all the components i would need to build my PC?

..Would really appreciate it if you can list all the components and details that I need for building the PC?

Ok, hi digicell, assuming that you want the core2quad, you need to find a motherboard that supports this processor.

Start by finding a motherboard that has the right socket, and then the board will most likely say in the specs 'deigned for core2duo and core2quad' or something similiar.

The motherboard will also need a PCI express slot for a graphics card, since you wanted a good one, though the graphics card won't make much difference to video quality I don't think. But nowadays it is important to have an independent graphics card, so you should get one, even if it is low-end.

It must also have some PCI slots, which it almost definately will, but get four or more if you can.

It should have SATA sockets if possible, but also IDE might be useful at some point, but it is not necessary I don't think, since I think drives now use SATA? I might be wrong. You'll have to find that out.

As for memory, you need the matching memory for your motherboard. To start looking for it, match up the PC number, eg PC3200. Then check the specs against the required ones from there onwards. You will need 2GB of ram really today, you can get away with 1GB if you really have to.

Harddrive will use the SATA. As will the DVD rewriter I think.

PSU I don't really know what power you will need, you'll have to get someone else's advice on that one.

You might want to consider going for a soundcard, since they are not that expensive, and could be good for watching your video and stuff. You could consider setting up surround sound, but this can be expensive.

As for case, which ever one you think looks pretty and fits your motherboard.

I don't know if I have missed anything out.

Ok, hi digicell, assuming that you want the core2quad, you need to find a motherboard that supports this processor.
Start by finding a motherboard that has the right socket, and then the board will most likely say in the specs 'deigned for core2duo and core2quad' or something similiar.
The motherboard will also need a PCI express slot for a graphics card, since you wanted a good one, though the graphics card won't make much difference to video quality I don't think. But nowadays it is important to have an independent graphics card, so you should get one, even if it is low-end.
It must also have some PCI slots, which it almost definately will, but get four or more if you can.
It should have SATA sockets if possible, but also IDE might be useful at some point, but it is not necessary I don't think, since I think drives now use SATA? I might be wrong. You'll have to find that out.
As for memory, you need the matching memory for your motherboard. To start looking for it, match up the PC number, eg PC3200. Then check the specs against the required ones from there onwards. You will need 2GB of ram really today, you can get away with 1GB if you really have to.
Harddrive will use the SATA. As will the DVD rewriter I think.
PSU I don't really know what power you will need, you'll have to get someone else's advice on that one.
You might want to consider going for a soundcard, since they are not that expensive, and could be good for watching your video and stuff. You could consider setting up surround sound, but this can be expensive.
As for case, which ever one you think looks pretty and fits your motherboard.
I don't know if I have missed anything out.

Hi Thanks a lot appreciate your advice. had a no of quesitons:

You said "Start by finding a motherboard that has the right socket, and then the board will most likely say in the specs 'deigned for core2duo and core2quad' or something similiar."....can you be more specific by the right socket?...do you mean all the sockets i.e VGA socket etc which i will need?

Secondly, you mentioned "As for memory, you need the matching memory for your motherboard. To start looking for it, match up the PC number, eg PC3200. Then check the specs against the required ones from there onwards." - Where would i obtain the PC Number as i would be building the PC myself ?...would it be on the motherboard right?..and by memory you do mean the RAM (Random Access MEmory right)

Finally, "You might want to consider going for a soundcard, since they are not that expensive, and could be good for watching your video and stuff. You could consider setting up surround sound, but this can be expensive." - I dont really want to spend on a sound card considering I just want good image quality when viewing videos etc? so am i right to say the graphics card can help in this?

As for the case, I only need one that fits the Motherboard right? nothing else should be compatible with the case right?...

Please can somoene advice on the PSU i would need ?

Im thhinking of getting the Quad Core Processor

Thanks

Hi, Yes I am researching i want to build my own PC and would appreciate your help in this. Instead of rathher than putting me down please :) hope you can help with all the components i would need to build my PC?
..Would really appreciate it if you can list all the components and details that I need for building the PC?
Sorry m8, didn't mean to offend you. I built a pc last week, the components for which were recommended by by digicol but I have sold that one and decided to build myself a faster one with the profits. I have decide to limit myself to a budget of about £400 and was looking at something like this;
asus p5w dh deluxe
Core 2 Quad processor
2 gig corsair xms2
thermaltake armor case
hyper r 580 psu
sapphire radeon x1950 pro
160Gb Sata drive
18x DVD-RW drive.

Sorry m8, didn't mean to offend you. I built a pc last week, the components for which were recommended by by digicol but I have sold that one and decided to build myself a faster one with the profits. I have decide to limit myself to a budget of about £400 and was looking at something like this;
asus p5w dh deluxe
Core 2 Quad processor
2 gig corsair xms2
thermaltake armor case
hyper r 580 psu
sapphire radeon x1950 pro
160Gb Sata drive
18x DVD-RW drive.

Hey no worries im just trying to build mine i have bought a heatsink which is compatibile with LGS 775 (quad dul core and Quad Core) i was thinking of buying the Quad Core QX6600 what does people think is that good?....why is that quad core more cheaper than one dualcore?
Can someone give me a good link for MOTHERBOARDS, DVD DRIVE, and CASE....I am thinking of using my old Hard Drive for the new PC would that be okay?...i have two one 30GB and one 70 GB?

Please advise as I want as much info as possible before going ahahed and buying.

Hi, Can someone tell me if this is worth it for a DVD REWriter Drive the money it is roughly about 32 pound
http://shopping.rediff.com/shop/pro...r=10146321&source=browse&frompg=Cd Rom Drives

Also this DVD Drive has a ATAPI cable connection so what does this mean?...i take it it is to connect it to the mothehrboard but how would i know the motherboard has this?...and can someone suggest a suitable motherboard which is within the LGA775 range?

hope i recieve some info from someone thanks in advance

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The drive looks a bit expensive to me. Have a look here for some examples of what you want. 20 quid is about right. As for ATAPI, it basically just means it connects as an IDE drive, not SATA. AFAIK all motherboards still have at least 1 IDE connector for drives like this, so no need to worry about compatibility.
You might want a SATA drive instead, but I've no experience using them.

Thanks for recommending a motherboard mate! :)..ill take a look....as for the DVD Drive what is the benfit of getting one which is SATA rather than ATAPI connection?...can someone explain in highlevel what is the difference and which one is better to get?

Yup as Curious says do not spend more than £18 on a DVD writer and that motherboard is a great performer for the price, it is Socket 775 which is perfect for the Q6600 you have your heart set on, which in turn is fine for the heatsink you already have.

Also that motherboard uses the new P35 chipset which in all honestly should be your main aim if you have over £400 to blow.

And Curious mate can I give you a little advice, dumo that Hiper PSU and get either Corsair, Seasonic, or Enermax. Corsair being made by Seasonic and the best bang for buck PSU you can get!!

As for the memory, in the past I would have pushed for 800mhz Corsair XMS2 at just under £60 per 2gb kit, but seeing as you can now get OCZ Platinum XTC f800mhz for less than £40 per 2gb to me it is a no brainer!! Get the OCZ, no issues between OCZ and MSI boards as far as I am aware.

Build for the OP:

Processor £155
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131823
Motherboard £59
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131823
2gb very fast Memory £40
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/116755
20x DVD burner £18
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/127410
PSU £55
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132563

As for a graphics card you do not really need anything powerful at all, even a low end card can play 1080p. What screen are you using?

Thanks for recommending a motherboard mate! :)..ill take a look....as for the DVD Drive what is the benfit of getting one which is SATA rather than ATAPI connection?...can someone explain in highlevel what is the difference and which one is better to get?

SATA is the newer form of connection, op paper it is faster but reality there is little or no difference.

But get SATA as a lot of boards are now fading out IDE (a lot only come with one IDE port so if you have more than one device you will need a splitter), in your case I think your wanting to put two IDE hard drives in your machine so you will require a splitter for those as the board above only has one IDE slot on it. (Basically you will need a longer than average IDE cable with 2 slots on it plus one slot to go into your motherboard).

Personally I would get something like a 160gb Seagate SATAII hard drive with 16mb cache, they are only £35 or so and will be much easier for you to set up. I would sell your old hard drives to cover some of the cost.

hi,

thanks i will probably go for the new hard drive option then can u give me a link please for that?....also with this motherabord i have researched and it has a cooling system with copperpipes on the board does that mean i cant use my heatsink on it then? please advise as im unsure i dont think i can?

Back