Combine the speed of two modems.

name750

Inactive User
Reaction score
Tried this a while ago and then gave up on it when all the ambits starte updating.
Now i got surfboards i'll giv it another go.
You's guys might like to try it:
Not my work found it on theoryshare:

1) Have both (or more) of your modems connected to different NIC cards (or just buy a USB hub and connect you cable modems that way).

2) Make sure both modems are fuctioning separately, AND THAT BOTH IP ADDRESSES THAT THE MODEMS HAVE OBTAINED ARE ON DIFFERENT GATEWAYS.

3) download wingate http://www.wingate.com/product-wingate.php
-----------------------------------
4) Install the shit (MAKE SURE ALL THE OPTIONS ARE INSTALLED JUST AS BELOW).

(Installation type, Configure as ect.. as a Server) PRESS CONTINUE

PRESS NEXT 3 TIMES AND THEN UNCHECK USE WINGATE MAIL SERVER, THEN PRESS NEXT

CLICK NEXT 3 TIMES THEN CLICK "ACTIVATE" TO ACTIVATE THE SOFTWARE (DONOT PICK THE “WINGATE VPN” because then you wont be able to do shit). AFTER YOUR DONE ACTIVATING PRESS NEXT, THEN CLICK BEGIN.

CLICK FINISH AFTER IT FINISHES INSTALLING AND DO NOT RESTART (THERE’S NO NEED TO)

5) Goto Start, Programs, Wingate and run “Wingate VPN Monitor”

6) Double click the icon with the two little red monitors next to your computer clock on the taskbar.

7) It’ll ask you if you want to run the Wingate Engine, CLICK OK.

8) A “Online Options” window will popup just click OK. It’ll tell you that you haven’t specified a password, just click “don’t ask me again” then click ok.

9) Start the damn Wingate engine if it asks you if you want to by clicking OK.
10) It’ll say some shit about GateKeeper needing a password, click OK and ENTER A PASSWORD YOU CAN REMEMBER then click OK.

11)Now click on “Services” Tab on the Bottom Left.

12) On the upper left right under the “Go Offline” Icon theres gonna be 4 things. Click on each one and press delete on you keyboard to delete the shits.

13) Right click on the empty white space where you deleted the services and press “New Service”, then “WWW Proxy Service”.

14) A window will popup….. Where it says “Service Port 80” (Right in front of you face) change that number to, well for this tutorial we will put it to “ 1111 “ (One Thousand, One Hundred, Eleven).

15) now to the left of that window click “Bindings”, Under binding policy UNCHECK “Bind to any IP ADDRESS…. Ect..”

16) now click “Gateways” to the left of the window.

17) on Connection scheme change it to “use blah blah blah on rotation” Now click on add.

18) you should see both your NIC card names, click the little plus sign bullshit to expand the tree and expand both “Gateways” and “Source IP addres.” And click on “Any Gateway” and “Any IP ADDRESS”. Click ok then click ADD AGAIN!!!! DO THE SAME SHIT WITH YOUR SECOND NIC CARD (INTERNET CONNECTION WHATEVER).

19)Now click APPLY, then OK, THEN YES.

20) your NAT PROXY should be working now…. So we are now going to test if you did all this shit right and both connections are Routed through the software proxy…

21) open up Internet Explorer, click on Tools, then Internet Options, then click connections, then click LAN SETTINGS. PUT A CHECK MARK ON “USE A PROXY SERVER FOR YOUR LAN ect….” And in Address TYPE IN 127.0.0.1 and in PORT TYPE IN 1111. CLICK OK THEN OK AGAIN.

22) Now goto http://www.lawrencegoetz.com/programs/ipinfo/ and check your IP ADDRESS. Keep Pressing REFRESH AND IF YOUR ip address DOES CHANGE (or Rotates) with your other IP ADDRESS YOU HAVE SETUP THE PROXY PERFECTLY.

LOL only if all tutorials was as straight to the point as this!

Can you do the same with 1x ADSL Modem 1x Cable Modem?

No idea i you look on fibercoax it will explain more.
I still dont quite bealeve it's possible. I've heared lots of people say it can help with some download programes.
Ah yes i remeber when i had four ambits going at once.
I use bittorrent and i got double the upload speed without doing anyhthing,but i could never make it happen.
I must try it again cos now i got 60kbs upload it would be fun to see it uploading at 120kbs!!
I'll try that tomorrow!

That works a treat! Managed to combine my own connection with next doors wireless one :D

Just a quick thought.....

Do you guys think it would be possible to connect 4 modems to a wireless router and do it that way?

dadeh that's cool next doors aswell as your own.
My brother sits up in bed with his laptop surfing on his neighbours wifi.
It wont last for much longer i bet. The media will cause a big scare about people hacking into your wifi and that will be that.
Wanyib dont think the wifi thing will work to combine your connection speed.

You'd need a wan router to loadbalance more than one connection.
according to waht i've been told ,but then the only person i heared ever try it said it didn't work.
But it was a cheap router and the 4 port ones are normally big money.

I use as many as 3 modems at a time to get higher speeds but this will work only on multiple connections like newsgroups or maybe bittorrent. I have 2 nic’s and a usb to ethernet adapter and what I do is bring up each modem one at a time then disable all of the connections but one, the one with the lowest priority. Now I open up my newsreader and start some connections. Once I see the speed max out I enable another connection (in order of priority) and start more downloads. Just repeat the process for each additional modem. This method is kind of ghetto but I hate wingate and I'm far too cheap to buy a dual or quad wan router.

wingate sucks(just get 30 trail+patch/crack),but if you do alot of torrents,newsgroups,ftp,and even http downloads and you don't have a very fast connection this can be very useful...to do torrents,you'll need to set up a seperate socks proxy and use a client that supports it(azureus,bitcomet/bitlord..)..i prefer to use one modem and hate wingate,but on very rare occasions i have used it to combine multiple modems(to seed large torrents very quickly,or to dl files larger than 10-15gigs) i am also too lazy to buy a dual wan router..anyways,all my modems have the fastest config that is currently on my isps' tftp servers(17mbit/3mbit) and that is fast enough to meet my needs..
btw the original tut was taken from a fibercoax thread and fibercoax is back online.

Listen guys, simple question here.

I have two ambits that work fine, one is clone and one subbed, i have one ethernet card and some spare usb sockets, is it possible to connect both my subbed and clone, one on usb and one on ethernet ? or is it better to put them both on usb ? iam not wanting to buy any other cards/routers etc etc.

You could use a method like this with any networking devices, as long as they have a tcp/ip binding on them. So using both adsl and cable connections will work. You could use some dial-ups in the mix too if you wanted. In a case like this, the physical device doesnt matter.

As its been mentioned, this only works for multiple connections.

The best option, if you have a wee spare machine (a wee pentium 100 would do), is to set it up with win2k server and use the 'routing and remote access' server. Just fill the machine with NIC's and off you go. Proggys like Wingate suck big hairy ones compared to having a dedicated box to do the job. :)

Wanyib: Yeah you can use a wireless router but it does need to have the 4 wan ports on it. You can buy them but they aint worth it, home user versions are terrible, even the 2xwan home routers suck. If you are going for 3 or more connections, build a box to do the job, the results are worth it. And if you fancy a bit more, chuck another modem on the server...loverly stuff. :)

thomson said:
Listen guys, simple question here.

I have two ambits that work fine, one is clone and one subbed, i have one ethernet card and some spare usb sockets, is it possible to connect both my subbed and clone, one on usb and one on ethernet ? or is it better to put them both on usb ? iam not wanting to buy any other cards/routers etc etc.

feckin hell, i didnt realise i only have one power supply, i cant do nuffin, anyone got a spare ?

If i buy another NTL modem and leave my current one connecting through ethernet and let the new modem connect through USB and use wingate will that work? what type of modem model should i get? im on ex Cable & Wireless, and once i have the modem what do i need to do?

i see this in another thread

If you are ex Cable and Wireless then you are on a system called Euro-DOCSIS , and only a surfboard modem with and 'e' at the end will work in your area.

wouldnt i be able to use a NTL modem? in the thread on fibercoax most of the people were using ntl modems

sorry about all the questions, im new to this
i have searched but theres only a few threads about combing the speed of modems

can't get the wingate softwear to work how do u activate it (tryed clicking activate but it just goes to some web page and loads half way and sits there waiting )

same here

quick_silver786 said:
can't get the wingate softwear to work how do u activate it (tryed clicking activate but it just goes to some web page and loads half way and sits there waiting )

that is the same here i dont think this software actualy works personaly if you want to connect two modems then i would say the best piece of equipment to do it is,.......
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=153458
follow the link and a world of ease will be opened up to you....

KeepGood2006 said:
You could use a method like this with any networking devices, as long as they have a tcp/ip binding on them. So using both adsl and cable connections will work. You could use some dial-ups in the mix too if you wanted. In a case like this, the physical device doesnt matter.

The best option, if you have a wee spare machine (a wee pentium 100 would do), is to set it up with win2k server and use the 'routing and remote access' server. Just fill the machine with NIC's and off you go. Proggys like Wingate suck big hairy ones compared to having a dedicated box to do the job. :)

Wanyib: Yeah you can use a wireless router but it does need to have the 4 wan ports on it. You can buy them but they aint worth it, home user versions are terrible, even the 2xwan home routers suck. If you are going for 3 or more connections, build a box to do the job, the results are worth it. And if you fancy a bit more, chuck another modem on the server...loverly stuff. :)

Sounds like a really good idea.....

Can i use Win Server 2003 to do this? And how would i connect two modems to a spare machine and then get 20meg downloads from my main pc, is this possible and if so, how easy to set up?

Cheers, Hackster3

KeepGood2006 said:

Was kinda hopin it wasnt a dumb question :(

keepgood

readin your post mate ......interesting
how would i go about doing this i.e. what would i need to carry out two modems going into 1 computer to act as a server? any help would be appreciated.....extra equipement is no problem...cheers

Back