Cloning Windows 10 from 60gb to 250gb SSD?

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have finally run out of space on my 8 year old OCZ SSD after windows update failed due to no space left. I want to clone the disk directly to a spare Samsung 250gb SSD I have.

Tried some free software but it's done an exact copy which means I have a unpartioned area of 170gb odd

Will Samsung migration tool do the trick or can anyone suggest another tool?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Samsung Migration tool will only clone my laptop instead of detecting the hard drive in the USB dock as source.

I have now installed MiniTool ShadowMaker Free but just going to have to go on find some instructions as I dont want to clone without expanding the partition size.

Samsung Migration tool will only clone my laptop instead of detecting the hard drive in the USB dock as source.

I have now installed MiniTool ShadowMaker Free but just going to have to go on find some instructions as I dont want to clone without expanding the partition size.

Damn I think the free version only does direct clone! Got about 10 minutes before its finished.

Next on the list is Macrium Reflect

I've used Macrium Reflect free before and works well. After rebooting the cloned disk, go into disk management and you can expand the disk.

I've used Macrium Reflect free before and works well. After rebooting the cloned disk, go into disk management and you can expand the disk.
I'm sure when I tried that it said that Windows might not boot?

The free version of MiniTool ShadowMaker worked, cloned and explanded fine.

Just got to pop back in PC and make sure the windows update complete.

I use Macrium Reflect (have done for years) it gives you the option to use the whole disk, at least it does when you are putting an image onto a new drive from a smaller drive. I haven't tried it doing a disk to disk copy.

I use Macrium Reflect (have done for years) it gives you the option to use the whole disk, at least it does when you are putting an image onto a new drive from a smaller drive. I haven't tried it doing a disk to disk copy.
I probably just missed the option only took 15 minutes to clone which is great my only issue is with stupid windows updates now. Had to boot in safe mode for some reason.

I kept getting reboot loop with the 60gb disk as it was pretty much full with 1gb spare.

Just rebooting now as it seems to be a driver issue that's causing the issue I think.

I probably just missed the option only took 15 minutes to clone which is great my only issue is with stupid windows updates now. Had to boot in safe mode for some reason.

I kept getting reboot loop with the 60gb disk as it was pretty much full with 1gb spare.

Just rebooting now as it seems to be a driver issue that's causing the issue I think.

Looks like video card driver issue
f3c46a873404ac82ba8c5db97ce06417.jpg

Can't seem to get out of safe mode as in won't boot normally.

Is there a tool to backup Outlook? Then I can just do a fresh install.

If its a pop account, there should be a pst file with all your emails. If its 365 account, once you log in again it should download all your emails again into outlook.

Iv got the .pst files on another hdd it's was just more the account settings and all the rules etc

Think defo going to be quicker to do fresh install.

All I really want to do is repair windows.

Iv got other programs like light room etc with all my libraries saved.

Think il try creating a bootable USB to repair if not then fresh install.

The original hdd has everything on it so I can try manually later if it doesn't go well

Going to need replace the old ati radeon 3850 any suggestions for a cheap replacement?

Will pop down to Maplins see if they got some clearance stuff

You could try attaching the new SSD via usb to the old laptop and then try scan disk to see if you can fix any errors.

You could try attaching the new SSD via usb to the old laptop and then try scan disk to see if you can fix any errors.
Tried repairing but doesn't appear to be any restore points or errors on disk.

One of the suggestions was to run safe mode and roll back driver on graphics card but nothing to roll back to.

Think I will try boot the drive from the laptop and see if that works as it has built in graphics.

The motherboard on pc is ASUS P5K with Intel Q6600 cpu. 8 maybe 9ish years old the only thing that messed it up with the last windows update.

Just getting some last minute gardening in before rain comes so will have to wait now.

Sorted desktop it's the graphics card driver. Uninstalled from device manager and have default windows basic driver.

Ordered a Asus nvidia card of amazon for £27 that is window 10 compatible.

For now just means I can't change the resolution but its working.

Just got sort out my old drives. Iv got 3 connected and 3 not connected will probably take em all out and spread them across 2x 3tb drives.

Back