Clients to server

eamondo

Member ++
Reaction score
anyone know how many clients can be on 1 server before any problems arise

It depends on the type of server and the type of connection to the clients.

If your running a server on a dreambox then you probably dont want to be handling more than 5 or so clients but if your server is running on a PC then it could probably handle a lot more clients than your card could.

If your running onto a local network only then network bandwidth probably wont come into it but if your serving to remote clients over the internet then obviously you also need to take that into account

So many factors, its like asking "anyone know how many candles can fit on a cake" :)
Realistic aim should be up to 10 but maybe 15 pushing things further, then if your cake is big enough could be 25, and if quality is not critical then 50 ...and even then its not impossible to get more.

I have an old pc in the house can I set this up as a server easy enough or is this much harder than using a dreambox

hi

i have recently set up a server onpc and its not difficult. it also depends how good you are with linux. setting up server on dreambox is much easier but you dont have room to expand your clientbase if needed in future. also with linux there is a tut about in tutorials on how do it and also instead of entering commands there is an automated script u run which does all the hard work for u. in simple stages all you do is

1. install debian linux on pc
2. run automated script (does all the hard work)
3. upload cccam file

That is it you are up and running and you can access your server from any pc to monitor your clients, ecm etc

Regards

faisalpandu

Are u saying my Linux server will pick up the channels without a sub card if not how does the sub card connect with the pc

or would I be right in saying the dreambox stays connected to the server to provide the feed and other boxes then tap in for the same feed

thanks again this is interesting stuff

the server is just a server
it contains the card
does not need a sat feed
could be located anywere aslong as its hooked up to the net

ur box's connect to the server to access card and they are called clients

u can set 1 or 2 boxs to send emms to the card to update it .etc
i have 2 set so just incase 1 is off it will get a emm from the other 1

so when ur clinet box goes to a pay channel it will look for a card but instead of looking at it in the box the c line tells it its located in the server at example address and port 101 .etc

simple to understand
but if things dont go to plan with setting up a server it can be a right pain in the ar$e

all i can say is do load of reading
then a bit more reading
then get it setup on a dm500s first so u know everything is working 100%
once u done that then u can simply setup a server on a pc and move ur cccam.cfg file over and thats it

I've seen a couple of comments regarding keeping the number of clients on a dreambox below say 5 but never seen any real reason for this...

I've run a dm800 and dm500 with over 10 clients perfectly fine

Excellent thread guys :banana:, got this working a while ago between two Dm500s using a £20. freesat card to test, dead simple, works a treat.
Card is dead now, it was the old blue card with house logo.

Need another working card to test with.

Last edited:
Back