Celeb obituaries.

The sixties folk revival and the civil rights and anti war movement shaped my life and, I am sure many others. Seeger played a great part in that. He was a man with great principles and his work and attitude influenced the work of many artists.

OK Danforth, you may not know about or like something but that does not necessarily decrease it's value.
:)

It's not just about protest, although I could argue about it effectiveness, how lives are led also make a difference. Who you choose to befriend, whether you follow along with the current prejudices or reject them. Speaking out can make a difference. The race laws in many countries have been changed by people like this.

It's not just about protest, although I could argue about it effectiveness, how lives are led also make a difference. Who you choose to befriend, whether you follow along with the current prejudices or reject them. Speaking out can make a difference. The race laws in many countries have been changed by people like this.

Sorry, I expect too much sometimes :( You're right, a gradual nibbling away is effective. I would have preferred better results in my lifetime is all.

agree with you @danforth with your original post, when the recent reporting of the death of Philip Seymour Hoffman i did think who ! and when i have seen the pictures i still don't recognise him.

i do have to disagree with your thumbnails of different music, while i read and chuckled i disagree, personally i get a great deal of pleasure and entertainment from music.

why do people have this intense hatred of Bieber ? I haven't ever heard knowingly any of his music and although i see cr*p in the news papers i just move on and don't read the article. Is he any different to the "pop" sensation of the times the the last 50 years ?

Last edited by a moderator:
agree with you @danforth with your original post, when the recent reporting of the death of Philip Seymour Hoffman i did think who ! and when i have seen the pictures i still don't recognise him.

i do have to disagree with your thumbnails of different music, while i read and chuckled i disagree, personally i get a great deal of pleasure and entertainment from music.

why do people have this intense hatred of Bieber ? I haven't ever heard knowingly any of his music and although i see cr*p in the news papers i just move on and don't read the article. Is he any different to the "pop" sensation of the times the the last 50 years ?

More the exploitation IMHO - if he was 'abused' we'd be up in arms. He is, but we are not :(

The sixties folk revival and the civil rights and anti war movement shaped my life and, I am sure many others. Seeger played a great part in that. He was a man with great principles and his work and attitude influenced the work of many artists.
Many factors shaped my life, all I can say is that music was just entertainment, and had little effect. I suspect I'm in a majority, but have no way of being sure.
As for "his work and attitude influenced the work of many artists", they climbed on the bandwagon and made money. The wider effect is questionable.
OK Danforth, you may not know about or like something but that does not necessarily decrease it's value. :)
My view of music is really just a bit of fun, it's the overall "value" element that I'm dubious about. I don't think it made any difference generally, and certainly not to me.:)

This comes back to my original post, the two recent deaths just happened to be the trigger. Deaths are all important events to somebody.
Some people were good, some people were bad, and even that is open to opinion. The volume of deaths means some reporting selections must be made,
but if the reaction is "who", the criteria is suspect. Everyday, people die who have made significant contributions to our daily life, and civilization generally e.g.
scientists, engineers, designers (except in the modern sense), pioneers and achievers in just about any field, yet they're lucky to get a "one liner"in the media.

However, if anyone "artistic", with past or present celebrity status, drops off the perch, we're inflicted with an often prolonged public eulogy,
now becoming routine. In short, the media makes a value judgement biased in favour of, very broadly, it's own field.

The eulogy is also suspect. I've been to some funeral services where I've had to look around the congregation to make sure I'm at the right one! :)

I was curious about the Bieber creature as well. He just about has sufficient talent for a toothpaste advert. Whatever his appeal was, I assume it was declining.
So, the routine "bad boy" re-invention of his image, which he started by throwing eggs at his neighbors, presumably having failed to fertilize any. :Biggrin2:
His later offences (or additions to his cv) are in response to his target audience growing up faster than he is. Some sort of re-hab comes next.

"Is he any different to the "pop" sensations of the last 50 years"? In a way, yes, he's a "tormented talent", but lacks at least half of the equipment.:)

Many factors shaped my life, all I can say is that music was just entertainment, and had little effect. I suspect I'm in a majority, but have no way of being sure.
As for "his work and attitude influenced the work of many artists", they climbed on the bandwagon and made money. The wider effect is questionable.

My view of music is really just a bit of fun, it's the overall "value" element that I'm dubious about. I don't think it made any difference generally, and certainly not to me.:)

Maybe it's do do with when you were born. Social attitudes were changing a lot in the sixties and people like Seeger and Dylan contributed a lot to that.

Music and the arts have great impact on my life if they don't on yours well...

Maybe it's do do with when you were born. Social attitudes were changing a lot in the sixties and people like Seeger and Dylan contributed a lot to that.

Music and the arts have great impact on my life if they don't on yours well...

No problem, or as I guess you would say "celebrate the differences".:)

I don't want to interrupt the current "tribute" thread here BBC News - Ghostbusters star Harold Ramis dies aged 69 , but here we go again.

Also this same week, http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/24/arts/maria-von-trapp-sound-of-music-daughter-dies-at-99.html?_r=1http://.........., but hardly a mention.

The latter was a "real" person with a real story, though only very loosely related to the film. She was the last surviving child who "inspired" the wonderfully "talented"
people who went on to fame and fortune at her family's expense. No doubt we'll have public eulogies until the last surviving members of the cast and crew dies.

On the positive side, quietly slipping away didn't provoke another re-run of the "Sound of Music".:Biggrin2:

I agree fully, its always been one of my bugbears. This is a tech forum, not the friggin Sun or Arsebook!
Too much general crap goes on for my liking.

TT

I agree fully, its always been one of my bugbears. This is a tech forum, not the friggin Sun or Arsebook!

TT

Not convinced that was quite what @danforth meant!

TT

I'm sort of halfway on that one. I'm all for a bit of fun, here and there, to lighten the mood. As you say, primarily a tech forum, but the diversity accounts for the large membership. Technically, I'm well past my "sell by" date, but happy here. Satpimps, by contrast, seems to be slowly dying, it's much too "dry". I just find the sycophantic worship of dead celebrities annoying, and wondered if it was just my opinion.

And you never know, one day someone may want to repair a two valve Dansette record player.:Biggrin2:

The EL84 version?

ECL83 (think triode/pentode combination) and a 25Y5 rectifier. Think EL84 was just an o/p pentode.

I have loads of other useless information, and plenty of time to tell you about it.:Biggrin2:

And you never know, one day someone may want to repair a two valve Dansette record player.:Biggrin2:

:Clap:

I'll bet nobody'll be able to repair an ipod 50 years from now.

(post above completely off topic, I know, but I've had Elvis on the brain and a big smile on my face since you posted that.)

: thanks :

Back