Career In Computing

Gunner786

Inactive User
Reaction score
I want to pursue a career in computing,
I did a GNVQ Foundation course in college about 4 years ago when i left high school.
Passed it and got a "Merit".
Then went into Web Design Level 2 but after about 4 months i dropped out with only 5 months remaining in the course.

How can i make use of this and which other courses are in demand employment wise nowadays?
still got age on my side as im only 21 but need to find something careerwise

Edt: Forgot to mention i didnt get any GCSE's
Didnt fail them or pass cos i didnt take any.

also course must be part time and somewhere where i can get help with the fee's from jobseekers

Last edited:
Easiest way m8 is to go to university.
Do computer science degree as a mature student.

You'll have a head start over other students.

I want to pursue a career in computing...

hi mate - exactly what sort of I.T/computing work do you want to get into?

what interests you most... is it web design & coding? programming? networking? do you like interaction with the end-users or do wanna be a behind the scenes guy?

Ask yourself these sort of questions coz theres many different computing careers and different routes into each of them.

For example, some of the best web programmers I've worked with have been self-taught guys who got their start designing websites for friends, family and local businesses for free from their bedrooms.

I'd see about getting a few GCSE's in English and Maths first. Unless you have these or an equiv. qualification such as o-level, most employers will skip over your application.

Once you have these, like gargemel said, find out what area of computing you want to go into. If it is something like web design you may be able to go freelance, once you build up the skills.

If its something a bit more technical such as networking or programming, you can take distance learning courses from a respected institution such as the open university, might be ideal if you need it to work around your current employment!

Back