Car Owners.....Don't Get Caught Out !!

D 8 RCS

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Still Lost and Looking for a Better Place.
I was going to post this in the Cars & Vans section, but I think it will reach more on here.
The DVLA are beginning to enforce this Act more rigorously and I don’t think everyone is aware of it.
The Continuous Insurance Enforcement Act, introduced in July 2011.
If you own a vehicle and it is registered in your name then it must be insured at all times.
If you don’t want to use the vehicle, then you must contact the DVLA to declare the vehicle off the road. By making a formal Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) and sending this to the DVLA along with your tax disc, you can ensure you are complying with the new law.
From the end of June 2011, the registered keepers of vehicles that have no record of insurance on the Motor Insurance Database (MID) or a SORN, will be reminded of the law change with a warning letter in the post. They will have to take notice of this or face penalties.
As the registered keeper of a vehicle that has no insurance, you could face:
- A £100 penalty;
- Your vehicle being clamped seized and destroyed;
- Court prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000; and
- The Police will also continue to seize vehicles that are driven without insurance – different penalties apply for this offence.

So Remember the Sorn is not just about Road Tax, but Insurance as well.
If you have just bought a “new” car and transferred your insurance over to that vehicle, you Must now Sorn your old vehicle even if it has Road Tax !!

Back