Capping, how much space do ya use ?

thomson

Inactive User
Reaction score
Iam trying to get a rough idea of what certain types of internet usage will use up in terms of download and upload capacity capping ???

For example, online games like fifa etc, how much of your capacity do they take up, I heard its a tiny amount they use up, some guy said to me he plays online fifa for about 6 hours everyday and only use's up about 1gb of capacity per week, would that be about right ???? Also, does playing online games use upload and download ??

Is it just common sense with downloads like movies etc, I.E - a 1gb movie will use up 1gb of download space ???

What about uploads, how do they work out , is this when you send a file Live via something like msn or yahoo messenger to a friend or summit like that, and again, is it common sense I.E - you send a 20mb file it use's 20mb of upload capacity ??

All you very techy guys will probably laugh at those questions, BUT, I think there will be a few people like myself who have some doubts like I do.

:Cheers:

hi thomson m8,

u still asking them questions :)

rather than guessing u need to know exactly, u need to install something that logs the download/upload values.

i posted in the thread in cable room (the one about ntl speed upgrade) dumeter a little proggie that gives u a graphical/numerical indication in realtime of the download/upload speeds u are achiving at anygiven time, also in the statistics part of the program it gives u what u have up/dowm loaded in day/week/month etc etc

im sure there are other products u could use and others may post what they use, but u wont be able to guess very accuratly so id advise using a program.

There's also another program called NetMeter that does much the same thing as DUMeter, monitoring average and total up/downloads

oranges22 said:
There's also another program called NetMeter that does much the same thing as DUMeter, monitoring average and total up/downloads
ok cheers :)

Ok, I ran netmeter from 22.49pm to approx 3.30am (see attachment for results, marked in red).

Maybe one of you guys is good with maths can work out how much over a 24 hour period would be used under these circumstances ?

Those results are while being in online fifa rooms and playing online fifa games, I also came out fifa a few times and surfed the web for a few minutes and checked email etc, BUT, I didnt have any downloads going on like movies/music etc.

Heres another example that shows that a 1gb per day cap limit would be no'where near enough :(

I went to my bed and left netmeter running, I also left some bittornet movie files etc downloading from the net and as you can see, after approx JUST 13hours iam already well above 1gb, and thats not even me surfing the web, checking email, playing online games or nothing !!!!

NTL HAVE GOT A BIT OF THINKING TO DO BEFORE THEY EVEN THINK ABOUT ENFORCING THESE CAPS AND MY ATTACHMENT SHOWS THE PROOF !

as i said m8 its not easy to guess, i think most people will be supprised how much traffic is going up/down the line.

as u say 1G is nowt, but i think it may be a problem in the near future as all the isp's will be capping, unless u pay big bucks

Going with my rough calculations, I would say that if someone likes to download lots of movies etc and also play online games etc etc, an acceptable cap would have to be at least about 3-4gb per day (at least). :(

Back