cant get aol broadband internet wireless after i have formatted hard drive

bingcro2

Member ++
Reaction score
hi i posted query re comp crash eventually managed to reintal windwos xp but had to format hard drive.cant get internet on pc but can on my laptop.my son says i will have to find out info re motherboard and lots of other complicated things.im a silver surfer and all seems diffy to me.where will i find out info etc need to re conect pc to aol broadband wireless router pse

You don't give us a lot of information to go on

Are you connecting to the wireless router, wireless or lan

I take it when you formatted the pc , you did not install all the drivers for either the wireless card or the network card. That's why it's not working

Could you check in device manager and see if any of your devices need drivers

If you need drivers . Then we are going to need to know what model of PC you have

You could try a full Windows update, as sometimes they have the missing drivers

If connecting via ethernet cable we will need the computer or motherboard model find the ethernet and/or chipset driver.

If wirelessly we'll need the model number of the wireless device (either dongle or card).
tks a lot i think i will try a windows install as you suggest tks for help

Windows Update, which needs an internet connection anyway...

Last edited:
tks for help folk son came and get my comp up again but after he went i tried to play some music files i recorded.no joy no sound or no computer sounds either any ideas pse

It sounds like the motherboard has a built in earthnet and sound card you need to find the make of the motherboard.You can find out what motherboard you have this way.XP users - Start menu, click on RUN

Vista users - Start menu, type in run in the address bar

From there, type in DXDIAG and click OK, the model number of your motherboard is known as System model.Once you have found this go on there site and download the drivers should sort you problem.

i bought it from a pal a few years ago he had built it himself.will look for sound card drivers i should have them somewhere and will find mother board as instructions tks again folks

i did as scaffolder suggest and got the page up with lots of info but nothing about systems model.tks once again will hve to wait my sons visit to get the sound going im sure ive got disks for sound and graffics but dont know where or what to do when i get them

Sorry, read this but didn't get chance to reply, at which point it's marked as read and...

Anyway, if you crack the side of the case off. Printed on the motherboard should be the manufacturer and the model number. The model number is usually located either between the PCI slots or between the CPU socket and RAM slots.

For example:
Between PCI slots:
pci.jpg

Between the CPU & RAM:
cpu.jpg

thanks for your detailed reply.I now know where to find the info requested.fault now off as all i had to do apparently was uninstall a prog that was in conflict with my sound.tks again

Back