Can't connect a laptop to the domain - active directory Domain Controller

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Right guys, got a laptop that I have installed windows 7 on it and I can't get it to connect to the domain.

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator.

If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\Windows\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for domain "bccc.local":

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs Bccc.local
Common causes of this error include the following:

The DNS SRV records required to locate a AD DC for the domain are not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server automatically when a AD DC is added to a domain.

They are updated by the AD DC at set intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

Last edited:
Re: Can't connect a laptop to the domain - active directory Domain Controller for the

Server 2008 R2?

Re: Can't connect a laptop to the domain - active directory Domain Controller for the

server 2003 R2 mate.....bit older than that.....

It had worked and I'd never had a problem with connecting computers to it before....

The problem is exactly as it says on the tin. SRV record for the DNS server not registered. Have you checked this?

urm, lost a little, could you help?

I've never had that problem before you see......thanks mate.

DNS Manager:

Forward Lookup Zones / msdcs.Bccc.local / dc /tcp / ldap

I suspect you have no records in this location. You need to create a forward lookup zone for your DNS server

Creating a Forward Lookup Zone

I'll upload a picture of my config which may help

Last edited by a moderator:

This is what I see:

forward zone.jpg

can you ping the domain name - see if it returns anything.

check the DNS settings on the laptop - worse case is to set the DNS server to the IP of the domain controller - its a dirty fix but will get you to join the domain.

can you ping the domain name - see if it returns anything.

check the DNS settings on the laptop - worse case is to set the DNS server to the IP of the domain controller - its a dirty fix but will get you to join the domain.

Not exactly. The DNS should be set to the AD DNS server for all conjoined devices. Non-domain systems can go direct to an external DNS. The AD DNS should have the root servers list intact and, normally, the AD DNS server forwards to the ISP DNS.

Right tried everything I know with the darn thing and no joy, same error, Could it be any thing to do with the extreme loader as I imagine that does some thing to netbios?

I have tried giving the laptop a static IP address and have successfully connected to the net etc. with it set like that, tried all sorts.....just can't get it to register on the network again, it worked 1st time the 1st time I tried it, and then it got formatted and a fresh copy of windows 7 installed.

Me thinking the extreme loader?

Thanks chaps.

You keep the same computer name? If it's a re-install, I'd change the name. Get the IP from the DHCP server in the domain then the Lapps gets all the AD stuff...

yeah tried a name change mate......

Which join option are you using (there are two)...Is this SBS?

Also, where is DHCP? Quick network summary may help...

Last edited:

DNS server wasn't working....DOH!

Sorted?

:)

I'll have a go tomorrow mate, just trying to balance and I'm out by 87k.....lol, which is just a tad more than i expected to see........

Will report back tomorrow.

all sorted guys, thanks for all your help.

Back