Can this be right?

Gary Jackson

Inactive User
Reaction score
Aint been on the pc for a while, due to other commitments etc, so today (early AM..lol) when i got in from work i found a note on the dining room table from the kids asking if i could get a couple of films and a game, so i fired up the modem and started searching,.... found the stuff they wanted and set them away to d/l.....take a peek at the d/l speeds im getting on a 2 meg cable line.....surly that cant be right?
Does anyone know of any changes of increased speed on these type of lines?..or have i missed something in my absence from the net?

Last edited:
gary i have used to get similair speeds from shareaza when i was on a 1 meg connection its summit to do with the way these programmes run m8 they hammer the bandwidth.

by the way moved to pc section

Cheers Chris, not that im complaining about the speeds, just seemed to be a little above average to the last time i used this kind of program, for example the best i could get was around 120~130 kb/s.
Not to worry, the kids got their stuff sooner than expected....:)

that speed looks good but its about right for a 2meg line i get a steady 60-70kbs on my 512 line on a regular basis

I get around 120kbs on a 1mb line. If NTL are your ISP you'll have had a speed upgrade. I've been bumped from 300k to 1mb at no extra chrage. The downside tho is that they are now having monthly bandwidth caps

Yeah look about right for a 2 meg line, you always get a bit of slop in there. Just like memory it says 256 but you get 259 or sommit stupid like that if you follow, oh never mind i'll have another beer.

If you get a wee program called DU meter you can monitor your upload and download speeds as well as total's for the days/weeks/months :)

i have a 2mb line. and i get http download speeds of about 250k/s.
you can work out what speed your meant to be getting using this formula:

your connection speed(in Kb) /8 (your connection speed, in Kb, divided by 8)

example: 2Mb connection = 2000k
2000k/8 = 250k
http download speed = 250kbps

Back